Picobrew systems have any value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmanak44

Reaction score
I never used a picobrew product as I have been all grain brewing for nearly 40 years. But recently I ended up with several brand new stainless units in an auction lot. They are the 220v models, brand new in box but without the tray. I bought a tray on ebay to experiment with and I am a decent fabricator so I can probably make up an insert for grains and hops to replace the picopak if that's possible. As for the other units, is there still a demand for them? Whats the best way to use them?

Best as I can tell (and I could be wrong - I have admittedly been enjoying my home brew) - in the last 12 months, there have been exactly three posts on the entirety of Home Brew Talk referencing Picobrew.

Two of them are yours. The third is this post of mine.

As Bones repeatedly told the Captain: "It's dead, Jim".

I brewed on nothing but a Zymatic and then a Z for five years and unfortunately lost the Z and a nice supply of parts in a fire. I now brew on an Anvil 10.5 and while it does OK and I like the 5 gallon batches, I sure do miss the Z. The website is still up and you can use it or download software into a raspberry pi and use that. The Zymatic/Z was a great system.

I used to have a Picobrew.

Gave it away years ago when I learned how to do mash in a pot :)

It makes a really nice sous vide cooker.

Somebody listed one for sale here a few months ago. But I'm not sure it really is a picobrew since I have no idea what one looks like. And it doesn't look like there were any takers.

I get that nobody wants them anymore, but I hear you can use as a sous vide? How is that? Like I mentioned I never used one even when they had the grain paks. And speaking of which, there must be a way to 3D print a filter of some sort and make your own recipes with your own recipes?

I have only seen them listed for parts. Not sure there are any "new" people looking to jump on that boat. If you like tinkering, it could be fun. But keeping it up seems like a hobby within a hobby.

I get that nobody wants them anymore, but I hear you can use as a sous vide? How is that? Like I mentioned I never used one even when they had the grain paks. And speaking of which, there must be a way to 3D print a filter of some sort and make your own recipes with your own recipes?

It has a sous vide mode under the menu. throw your bags into the tray, and go.

Ive heard you can put grains in bag and use the system that way, but i never tried

Back