Pickle flavor in my Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
Is unintentional pickle flavor a bad thing in my Pilsner I just brewed? I kinda dig it. It’s like throwing in a half pickle in your glass of Stella Artois! Off flavor or ok?

Acetobacter is the bacteria that makes vinegar, a main ingredient in pickles. If you like it, drink it relatively fast because eventually you will have malt vinegar. If the beer hasn’t been fermented yet, the sour flavor can come from soaking your grain over a couple of days at room temp before mashing. Also, I’ve had a very light taste of sourness from grain that was at some point not properly handled, but it wasn’t pronounced at all. I only knew it was from the grain because I tasted the grain before mashing in.

Also, I’ve had a very light taste of sourness from grain that was at some point not properly handled, but it wasn’t pronounced at all. I only knew it was from the grain because I tasted the grain before mashing in.

Thanks, that's really weird! I'll be on the lookout for contamination in the future.

Curious do you always taste your grains before brewing or were you just really hungry on that brew day?

Thanks for the reply fellas. I used a keg to ferment this time because it was a 10 gallon batch. I think I didn’t clean it well enough. I mean it’s hard getting up in there to get it all clean with just a 2” opening. So my guess is your right, the bacteria that makes vinegar and my poor sanitation caused this. Oh well, I’ll still drink it.

Several years ago I pulled a gallon of a beer and added brett dregs just to see what it would do. As I was cleaning up, I notice my sanitized jug sitting on the counter and realized that I racked to the wrong jug. A year later, I had some very tasty malt vinegar that goes great with fish and chips!

I also went to a beerfest this summer where a brewer had a gose, hopped with sorachi ace. I didn't get to try that one but everyone said it tasted just like dill pickle juice.

Thanks, that's really weird! I'll be on the lookout for contamination in the future.

Curious do you always taste your grains before brewing or were you just really hungry on that brew day?

You know it’s funny, I tasted the grains on a whim that one time. I haven’t done it before or since, but based on the info I got from it, I think it may be good practice.

If it is indeed acetic acid being produced (vinegar taste), Acetic acid bacteria convert alcohol into acetic acid, and not sugars. Definitely due to a poor sanitation step somewhere unfortunately... It happened to me once, made some of the best vinegar I've ever had :)

Every time I get a new bag in I smell deeply(any mold, rodent pee?...) and then taste a few pieces to make sure it is up to par. I use a lot of Simpsons Golden Promise and I can say it is a VERY reliable malt for quality!

Back