Pickle Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff73

Reaction score
Hi there!
I have been a home brewer now for about a year. I have made many types of beer and currently make all grain beers and mill my own grains. I have not had much experience with fruit beers and adding fruits to the secondary. Someone approached me because they know my love of home brewing and asked if I could make a pickle beer. I was wandering if anyone ever heard of such a thing?

This would be a beer inoculated with lactobacillus. Lacto is the bacteria involved in fermenting pickles making them acidic. I do a version of Revvy's Kentucky Common recipe that I add soured mash to. It has a slight pickle like taste. You could do the same thing with any beer. I make a half gallon of wort (like a big starter) then dip a mesh bag with some raw grain into it. Remove the grain after a few minutes. Keep the now inoculated wort around 95-100 degrees for about two to three days, depending on how strong you want it. Pour this in for the last fifteen minutes of the boil and ferment out.

I am sure others will argue how their way it better, but it works for me.

Back