Picked up some classic sours to try...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I realize the Gosling doesn't belong, but I thought it was delicious! Wasn't so hot on the Cuvee Rene, though. It was a lot more bitter than I expected. I also didn't like the Hanssens as much as I expected to, and I haven't tried the Tilquin yet. I think I'm finding I prefer beers where the sour and funk are present, but not the stars of the show. Flanders Browns/Reds I absolutely love, but there's a balance of sweetness, whereas the gueuzes and lambics are a little much for me. I guess the bright side is that I'll never have to attempt a turbid mash...

20150109_182144.jpg

I chose Cuvée Rene for my New Year's toast this year, it's a classic. I liked Tilquin better, though. And I picked up a bottle of Gosling this morning, can't wait to try it!

I have not tried Hanssens Kriek, but the oude geuze is my absolute favorite beer. Its musty, acetic, goaty, and puckering; really I think it lites up taste receptor known to man!

I love the Tilquin.

If the Hannsens Kriek doesn't do it for you... find the gueuze. Very different products. The Gueuze is pretty balanced and similar to the Tilquin.

I'm a big fan of the cuvee rene, but I found I had to pull the bottle out of the fridge and let it warm up some. It still has some of the Bitterness but when it was cold it was like a mouthful of grapefruit pith

I love the hanssen's gueuze. Cuvee Renee is also one of my favorite standbys. Very complex, perfect beers.

Outside od the Armand season beers, Tilquin is the best out on the market now. That man is just going to keep getting better, too. But, the op may not like it, going by the review on hansenn and rene. Gueze is an aquired taste for sure. Gosling is pretty good as well, fantastic on tap

For me if I can't get Cantillon (which is basically always), I go for Tilquin. Pierre learned his craft at both 3F and Cantillon and it's really friggin close to those...plus much more attainable in my neck of the woods.

gueuze tilquin is really wonderful. i rarely see drie fonteinen or cantillon but i can easily get gueuze tilquin when i want and it's a really consistently great beer. his plum lambic is also one of the best fruited lambics i've had.

hanssens makes really good fruit lambics as well. i especially love their strawberry and black currant lambics. i think a big flaw in a lot of commercial fruited lambics is in them being overly sweet and not funky enough. but hanssens makes a great brett forward but still fruity lambic.

cuvee rene is good for the price but i can tell a big difference in quality between hanssens or tilquin and lindemans.

I did end up enjoying the Tilquin. I think this tasting was a good experience in finding what I do and don't like. My preferences definitely lean towards the Flanders Reds/Browns, and Brett Saisons.

Along with these four, I picked up four from Crooked Stave, and really really enjoyed those. Unfortunately, they didn't have Nightmare on Brett, but I was able to get St. Bretta, Vieille, Surette, and Autumn Surette. They were all amazing, but my favorite was Vieille.

Back