Picked up a bottle of Utopias today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcjudo

Reaction score
I bought a 2011 edition of Utopias today. The taste is a lot different than I thought it would be. Similar to cognac but very syrupy and no burn. I'm happy with the purchase. My wife, not so much, but hey...that's marriage right?

Any suggestions on storage? I recapped the bottle. Should I store it in cool temps along with my other aging beers?

Oops You shouldn't have opened it. Too late now. It will explode now that it has been exposed to air. Send it rest to me and I will get rid of it safely.

Save it? You're crazy. CHUG IT!

Anyways, if you have a dark, cool, dry place, that is your best bet.

i saw this on tv the other day, and your thread reminded me to google it.
not sold in Washington state (also not sold in oregon or idaho).

the one sam adams that would've convinced me to give them another chance, and i'd have to drive all the way to Montana or California to buy some.

i saw this on tv the other day, and your thread reminded me to google it.
not sold in Washington state (also not sold in oregon or idaho).

the one sam adams that would've convinced me to give them another chance, and i'd have to drive all the way to Montana or California to buy some.

You'd be willing to cough up over $100 for a beer that is done by a brewery you don't care for?

You'd be willing to cough up over $100 for a beer that is done by a brewery you don't care for?

i also didn't realize it was over $100....
i don't think i would cough up $100 for a beer period. unles it was big. really big. 10 gallons or so.

i don't think i would cough up $100 for a beer period. unles it was big. really big. 10 gallons or so.

It's a little short of 10 gallons...

dsc03702.jpg

:mug:

Mals

i think it taste alot like maple syrup and cognac. eah.. should have saved it for the money you spent on it.. save it for a special occasion like meeting me.. lol but it ages extreamly well!

The utopias should age just like a bourbon or others like that. Order the glass that comes with for free its pretty nice also. I have a 2009 and then i now also have the 2011. I haven't opened any of mine yet, I get to sample them every year at the extreme beer fest in Boston. BTW I recommend anyone that can go, go to the fest. I've been the past 2 years and Im very pleased every year, excellent one off beers.

I have a customer that brews only "Extreme" beers. He came up with a recipe for a beer that I guess many who have had Utopia and tried his say his is far superior. I am working with him on the recipe so as soon as I get it I'll share! He ages it on Bourbon Barrel char. I have had a few bottles of this beer and I have to say, BEST BEER EVER!! IMHO. Not sure what Utopia comes in at but his is 23 or 26% and funny the owner of Lagunitas was sampling it saying how balanced it was!!
Ohhh I would LOVE to try the original... (Someone buy me one!!) LOL

Was that a ramble? LOL

The utopias should age just like a bourbon or others like that. Order the glass that comes with for free its pretty nice also. I have a 2009 and then i now also have the 2011. I haven't opened any of mine yet, I get to sample them every year at the extreme beer fest in Boston. BTW I recommend anyone that can go, go to the fest. I've been the past 2 years and Im very pleased every year, excellent one off beers.

I didn't think bourbon or other spirits aged once bottle? I guess a big beer mellows in the bottle but the process of the utopia (from the little I have read about it) would put it past that mellowing stage I would guess. Would be interesting to have a few different years as each one is a different recipe isn't it?

Lincoln only got like, 12 bottles sent here, to 4 retailers. They all had waiting lists that exceed their supply.

SWMBO wouldn't let me pay $100 for it anyhow, as cool as the vessel is.

mattd2 said:
I didn't think bourbon or other spirits aged once bottle? I guess a big beer mellows in the bottle but the process of the utopia (from the little I have read about it) would put it past that mellowing stage I would guess. Would be interesting to have a few different years as each one is a different recipe isn't it?

Correct. Once bourbon, scotch, whiskey, etc. comes off of the oak and into a glass bottle the aging is done. A 12 year old scotch bottled 10 years ago is still a 12 year old scotch.

Beer is a different animal. If yeast is still present it "should" improve. Hop flavors usually mellow with age. Storage conditions also matter much more.

Correct. Once bourbon, scotch, whiskey, etc. comes off of the oak and into a glass bottle the aging is done. A 12 year old scotch bottled 10 years ago is still a 12 year old scotch.

Beer is a different animal. If yeast is still present it "should" improve. Hop flavors usually mellow with age. Storage conditions also matter much more.

+1

Saved me having to type that :mug:

I could think of a few beers I'd pay some good money to try (BrewDog big beers anyone?).

I want to try every beer I can, so I'd try Utopias but I don't think I'd ever pony up that sort of money for it.

I got a bottle of this a couple days ago and had a few friends try it tonight. I was surprised to find it in a liquor store, just sitting on the counter, all lonely. I was surprised that this smallish town even had one, as I'd been trying to find one for years.

I have to say it tastes pretty fantastic, and it was worth every penny. I'm having a tasting party in a couple weeks for some beer drinking friends, and I hope that they like it as much as my friends and I did.

It really does taste fantastic. Everything good about beer, mixed with everything that is good about a nicely aged liquor.

Back