pic of starter from old yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Well, I had som WLP800 in my fridge that I washed back in August. It looked a little brown, but smelled like beer when I opened the jar. I pitched onto 1 liter starter and less than 24 hours later had this (see pic).

I wasn't sure how 7 month old yeast would fare, but looks good to me! Gonna step it up and brew in a couple of days.

Please don't laugh at my homemade stirplate. It works great. Old computer fan screwed to a cheap tupperware with a hole cut out of it. Hey, it works!

IMG-20110318-00255.jpg

why would we laugh at a virtually free stir plate.. beats the hell out of spending 80 bucks on one... as long as it gets that wort moving good enough in my book.

why would we laugh at a virtually free stir plate.. beats the hell out of spending 80 bucks on one... as long as it gets that wort moving good enough in my book.

No friggin' doubt! In fact, I'd like to request a DIY with picture tutorial - I have a ton of old computer parts, including fans!

OMG, look at that stirplate.....haha hahaha. Just kidding, I think my kids have those same tupperwares. Now I'm mad I blew money on that stupid Radio Shack box.

really happy with how this yeast took off after sitting in the fridge for 7 months.
I chilled the 1 liter starter overnight, decanted and pitched onto 2 liter starter. what a (good) mess.

IMG-20110320-00256.jpg

Back