Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still on a ban of that foodery. I'll look in the others, and decide based on price, but won't even go to that one.

Some of their pricing is in line with local places and then some bottles are absolute rape. $3.25/bottle for a HopRanch or a Dirtwolf is the going rate in the city. If you stick to local craft youre fine, but if youre looking at a Mikkeller or some Lambic thats when they stretch your butthole with rape.

I am in that place twice a week for a sandwich and keep an eye on pricing, ever since Bottle Bar opened they have toned it down very slightly. And started posting prices on the shelves finally.

Lets all try to keep each other updated on where we find KBS and prices once they start hitting shelves.

Some of their pricing is in line with local places and then some bottles are absolute rape. $3.25/bottle for a HopRanch or a Dirtwolf is the going rate in the city. If you stick to local craft youre fine, but if youre looking at a Mikkeller or some Lambic thats when they stretch your butthole with rape.

I am in that place twice a week for a sandwich and keep an eye on pricing, ever since Bottle Bar opened they have toned it down very slightly. And started posting prices on the shelves finally.

Lets all try to keep each other updated on where we find KBS and prices once they start hitting shelves.

Sounds like a plan Coff, I like it!

Bigger question is the younger release. Teressas had it on a thursday last year, think it was march 4th.

Rumor has it on the 3rd at Monks. All money goes to charity and it gets tapped at 1130. I'm going with a few work buddies there for lunch that day I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Rumor has it on the 3rd at Monks. All money goes to charity and it gets tapped at 1130. I'm going with a few work buddies there for lunch that day I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

you will be too late if going at lunch. People line up around the block a couple hrs ahead of time for that event.

That is why I typically boycott monks. It is always so crowded. I wish zot was still around.
yeah, I haven't been there in about 8+ years. The last time we were there, the wait staff was so crappy/rude, that after the hour + wait, it wasn't worth me coming back.

I guess I'm over the "I've got to have/try the super rare beer" phase. Not sound like the typical beer snob, but I have honestly forgotten more beers than I remember at this point. And I refuse to use the Untap app to keep track of what beers I have had. I guess I just don't care that much.

yeah, I haven't been there in about 8+ years. The last time we were there, the wait staff was so crappy/rude, that after the hour + wait, it wasn't worth me coming back.

I guess I'm over the "I've got to have/try the super rare beer" phase. Not sound like the typical beer snob, but I have honestly forgotten more beers than I remember at this point. And I refuse to use the Untap app to keep track of what beers I have had. I guess I just don't care that much.

I've been there a few times recently and I didn't have much of a problem. They tend to have very long term staff, but maybe you'd find it better now. It is still a place to behold, as a lot of people around the country would love to go there.

I think everyone goes through the "have to find the rare beer" phase. Once you find a few that disappoint, then you end up going back to easier to find beers that are great based on flavour and not reputation.

I get what Tom did to get belgian beer into the US, and I appreciate it. That said, there are a TON of beer bars all over the city now that can seat more than 25 people at a time now. I have no problem giving them my business.

Could of years ago I dropped my then 2 yo off at daycare then took the train into the city. I was at Monks at 9am. By 10 there were 100+ in line behind me. I was interviewed by Channel 10 news. Personally I think Younger is overrated. Elder was better.

Anyone in Bucks/Mont gone the Iron Abbey Loft yet? Great beer selection but seems really pricey to me. Guess I have a problem paying $25 for a single bottle of beer.

I called them looking for Firestone walker 17 and they only had Union Jack or something. So I kind of pegged it as not being so great. Haven't checked it out in person yet.

dfess, I didn't look at that one as I saw they had it at Wegmans. They have rare beers but I was looking for a Bourbon Barrel Stout to compare against my own. I think the cheapest was $17 for a 12oz.

Ok so I convinced my wife to by a new kindle with all the bells and whistles and I weaseled some brew equipment. I have a 70 quart xtreme cooler SS chugger and all the cam locks is think. Now waiting for the toys is torture Soon I will no longer be a biab er. Not bad for My 1 year brewing anniversary

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First time I had Heady Topper was at the hot dog cart behind Memphis Taproom. It was 7 bucks a can, but went down really nice with that custom dog.
That would be a top 3 spot for me I think

Just got my email for the extreme homebrew challenge! is anyone else in this or done it before? I Dont know much about it!

Wifey and I are going to Forrest and Main in Ambler. Great place. I love their IIPA Kinch the Knifeblade when it's available. It reminds me a lot of Heady.

We got in at 8:30 and sat in the same room. We went to Tired Hands on Saturday and both agreed that we prefer Forest and Main.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

hello philly area brewers! i'm from telford, so just north of PA and just moved here about a year ago. Only spots i've been able to find decent craft selections has been wegmans and whole foods. Should i venture down into the city to get a better selection? I'm looking to expand my variety, and am really interested in the russian river selections. I noted some spots that have them from their distro list but i seem to strike out. Is pliny the elder available anywhere at the time?

Thanks all!

hello philly area brewers! i'm from telford, so just north of PA and just moved here about a year ago. Only spots i've been able to find decent craft selections has been wegmans and whole foods. Should i venture down into the city to get a better selection? I'm looking to expand my variety, and am really interested in the russian river selections. I noted some spots that have them from their distro list but i seem to strike out. Is pliny the elder available anywhere at the time?

Thanks all!

I've seen the Elder only on tap (and pretty often, too), but their sour selection in the city is pretty decent.

Welcome to the area!

Are you looking for bottle selection or draft? In Southampton (15 minute or so drive for you) there's the Beer Store. Biggest selection of bottled beer you'll find anywhere, possibly the world. It'll make your head spin! They do have Russian River.
http://www.thebeerstorebuckscounty.com/

If you go downtown and want to know what's on tap where, use Philly Tap Finder. Lots of places get Pliney the Elder and Younger on tap but you have to wait in line usually and early. Go to Monk's Café sometime, you won't regret it (but it does get crowded as people on this thread have mentioned).
http://www.phillytapfinder.com/

Welcome to the area!

Are you looking for bottle selection or draft? In Southampton (15 minute or so drive for you) there's the Beer Store. Biggest selection of bottled beer you'll find anywhere, possibly the world. It'll make your head spin! They do have Russian River.
http://www.thebeerstorebuckscounty.com/

QUOTE]

I've seen facebook posts about this place and each time I see pictures I need to change my shorts. Really decent selection.

My parents live a mile from the Beer Store so I go there fairly often. It's almost too big a selection. When you walk in it's hard to focus because it's so overwhelming. And that's not counting the 12 or so taps they have for a pint in store or take away growler. If there's heaven on earth it's probably the Beer Store!

My parents live a mile from the Beer Store so I go there fairly often. It's almost too big a selection. When you walk in it's hard to focus because it's so overwhelming. And that's not counting the 12 or so taps they have for a pint in store or take away growler. If there's heaven on earth it's probably the Beer Store!

That's awesome info I appreciate it. That's not too far frommy work so I might take a trip one day. I didn't know about the tap list site either, will have to start keeping tabs on it! Thanks again!

No problem! You'll find that the Philly area is one of the best places for beer in the country. Another suggestion is Capones on Germantown Pike in East Norriton. They have around 40 taps and their selection is always incredible. So worth a visit and they get the Plineys from time to time.

No problem! You'll find that the Philly area is one of the best places for beer in the country. Another suggestion is Capones on Germantown Pike in East Norriton. They have around 40 taps and their selection is always incredible. So worth a visit and they get the Plineys from time to time.

And they are tapping hopslam this Saturday, thought I missed my chance for it this year! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a Pliny on the shelf

And they are tapping hopslam this Saturday, thought I missed my chance for it this year! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a Pliny on the shelf

Capones gets it on tap occasionally, but not bottles. AFAIK, philly doesn't get PtE in bottles.

Capones is THE place to go on Black Friday every year. Amazing draft event which usually includes Pliny the Elder.

There is shangys in allentown/ Emmaus area too, never been, but I hear is a great store

If you want hopslam, go there. They have the rights to Bells in the five counties. Any bells beers in our area come out of there.

Is anybody going to the Craft festival next weekend? My group got the VIP session which looks outstanding for the most part.

Be very careful about getting IPAs at The Beer Store. I talked with an employee when we ran into each other at a bar. They told me the stock doesn't turn over all the time and they hold a lot of aged IPAs that aren't fresh anymore. They are also TERRIBLE expensive. Candlewicks in Buckingham is hit or miss but I hear they get some gems in.

Temple, we were leaving about then. We were sitting on the outside wall to the side. I saw a couple of younger couples come in as we left. Guessing you are younger than me (36) because your a engaged.

My wife and I went to Tired Hands for the first time on Sunday. beers were good. Not sure why everyone goes gaga over the place, but I enjoyed them.

Fishing, I'm sure we were one of those couples, I'm 25. I was wearing a bright blue polo that's hard to miss.

My wife and I went to Tired Hands for the first time on Sunday. beers were good. Not sure why everyone goes gaga over the place, but I enjoyed them.

Agreed. The honey brown ale was my favorite of their offerings.

I've had about 20 of their beers and thought just about every one of them were above average at least. Put me in the "gaga" camp. :ban:

+1 to Shangy's in Emmaus. Prices are reasonable and they have a great selection. If I recall, they only sell cases, which is a bit of a drawback sometimes

Back