Phenols in the starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy

Reaction score
So I have recently (and most unfortunately) had to dump two batches due to ?wild yeast? infection. The first clue was a really bad burnt plastic/band-aid off-flavor after a couple weeks in bottles. It happened in one batch, skipped another batch, and then showed up again in the most recent one. :( So I have taken sanitization to new heights, and nixed a slightly scratched primary, vinyl hose, etc. I am literally just about to start steeping grains, and I checked out my starter (WLP500) for this begian dubbel extract. After about 24 hours, it seems to have this same burnt plastic odor... I have never used this yeast before, so I'm not sure if this is a normal aroma and my mind is playing tricks on me. Anyone have any insights on this belgian yeast?

Never used that yeast before.But the band aid flavor is most common from using bleach as a sanitizer.What did you use as a sanitizing agent?

Correct.Once i made a starter from White labs WLP 004 Irish ale yeast.Smelled like lager yeast(Farts),that only happened that once and my beer was fine.

Back