Phenol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quark42

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I could use your help with something.

I'm relatively new to homebrewing, having brewed around 8 batches. I have noticed a consistent off taste in my beer, which I have identified to be phenol (bandaid-like). It was most prevalent in my first two batches, where I used dry yeast pitched at a temperature too high or too low, and a steam beer (lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures).

My fermentation temperature is 70-75F
My chlorine levels, according to an annual water quality report, is .78 ppm. (This is on the low end)

What is causing this off flavor, and how can I prevent it?

Yes, I read that article. Since my chlorine levels are pretty low, and I use an iodine based sanitizer, I'm assuming its being caused by something other that what is listed on that link.

Yes, I read that article. Since my chlorine levels are pretty low, and I use an iodine based sanitizer, I'm assuming its being caused by something other that what is listed there.

If your doing extract I would just use distilled water and see if that helps and try and lower temps

I have heard of this not being as effective in humid environments. You'll probably get a few degrees out of it, but make sure you point a fan at it as well to try to maximize the evaporative colling effect.

Latest posts

Back