PH tolerance of Brett Brux 5122

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbindera

Reaction score
Question on pH tolerance of Brett Brux (WY 5122).

I have a little 3 gallon batch of 1.048 / 10 IBU wort where I pitched an old pack of Lacto Brevis (dated August '14). It took the wort down to a pH of 3.85 in about 14 days. I racked the beer off of the lacto (I did this primarily so I could have a big lacto pitch to play with in other batches). I gave the lacto a lot of time since the pack was so old and it took about a week before I saw any signs of fermentation.

I then pitched a pack of 5122 into secondary. I've never fermented a beer in this manner before: pitching bacteria first then a yeast.

Any thoughts on what to expect here? Is 5122 tolerant of this low of a pH right out of the gate? Are there any rules thumb on how low to let a lacto primary go before the acidity level will kill off yeast? Sure it will vary from yest to yeast.

Another thought I had was to keep a lacto only fermented beer around for blending.

Thanks for any inputs.

Also forgot to mention that the wort was at 1.016 when I pitched the 5122.

Back