PH Testing, Strips and Digital

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTD

Reaction score
I need to be able to test PH for my red wines. I have strips but it seems to me this is pointless. I just bought the type B digital PH tester from ebay in the link below but it will take a week or so to arrive.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163175624485

Im wondering, before this digital one arrives, is there a way i can get the strips to work being a red wine?

Thanks

In my experience, strips are totally unreliable.

Is a $7.44AU ($5.43USD) meter going to be reliable? I hate to be a downer but I'm not optimistic about that. BTW you also need calibration, cleaning, and storage solution.

lol, its the AUD$13.87 one and i agree, cheap is usually cheap but might get me out of trouble in the short term. i wont stick it in the must, ill always ge ta bit out to test and throw it after so wont need to be sanitized. wont know untill it comes but my local HBS was all out of digital ones today.

what do you mean by calibration, shouldnt it already be calibrated?

The pH electode will drift over time so you need to periodically calibrate it with buffered standards, usually pH 4.01 and 7.01 solutions.

As mentioned, be sure to rinse your electrode after use. I also spray a caustic cleaning solution, rinse with water, an acidic spray, rinse again with water and store it moist in a pH electode storage solution.

Back