pH meter storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainpour

Reaction score
I just bought myself a Milwaukee MW102 pH meter.
I also got the Milwaukee storage and cleaning solution to go with it.
I noticed after storing the probe in the solution for more than a couple of days the liquid starts to crystallize around the top of the container and on the very bottom of the probe.
Am I doing something wrong?

20150731_113719.jpg

Always happens with my ph meter as well, but mine is an oakton which has a small cap that you fill to cover the probe. I just replace it fairly often. That stuff just likes to dry up, it's a common problem just rinse it off.

I have a Hanna and it also comes with a tight fitting cap that has a well for their storage solution.
I'm surprised something similar didn't come with the Milwaukee - surely they don't really expect someone to use a flask? :drunk:

Cheers!

That does seem to be quite a bit of storage solution... I leave the rest of mine in the bottle so it all doesn't evaporate at once.

My Milwaukee 102 came with this, you didn't get that? The solution does crystallize around the lid if it dries.

MW 102.jpg

I have a hach pro plus and bought storage media only to subsequently learn it is not recommended for this meter. Just a few drops of tap water in the storage cap suffices to keep it's micro-environment moist around the bulb.

As far as I know this meter is the exception to the rule.

But on the topic of your meter. OP I think @chickypad illustrated it clearly, you are missing the cap for storage solution. Might have got chucked to with the packaging. That stuff crystallizes on exposure to air.

The storage solution is usually a saturated or near saturated solution of potassium chloride. It is therefore very easy to get it to crystalize with loss of water via evaporation.

I'd look into getting a replacement cap.

I do still have that cap now that I think about it. I dunno why I didn't think about that before.
Also in regards to the amount of storage solution I read that the cloth inside the meter could not dry up, I wasn't sure how much to submerge it in?
I got that flask as a gag gift, thought I found a use for it but I guess not.

I do still have that cap now that I think about it. I dunno why I didn't think about that before.
Also in regards to the amount of storage solution I read that the cloth inside the meter could not dry up, I wasn't sure how much to submerge it in?
I got that flask as a gag gift, thought I found a use for it but I guess not.

Only now reading the scale and seeing how tiny that flask is. Nice one:D

Latest posts

Back