Pets...And Why We Love Them (Pay Homage Here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cat ran out in front of me in the street once. It was raining hard and she was out in the country. I didn't see her in time and I hit her in square in the face at 35mph with my bumper. Ran completely over her. Went back and picked her up, she puked and **** all over me, poor little thing. Took her to a friend's house and they took care of her, she has a happy home now. Her teeth grew back a couple of years later...weird. Sad story, but with a happy ending.

I also saved a black cat once that was caught on a fence, her lip was all scarred. Saved two black cats, actually...gave both of them to my cousin. Midnight 1 and Midnight 2. One has lived for over 14 years and she still looks and acts like a young cat.

Couldn't have cats at home, unfortunately, as my sister was allergic.

Sorry, no pics. :eek:

We also have four (!) cats...but this is the most photogenic of 'em. Also a rescue, her name is Trub:

winter_coat_018.jpg

Holy crap, I love your stairs!

Your cat looks like my gf's... that kitty had to have a leg amputated after a bad encounter with an over-aggressive dog. You almost wouldn't know it by looking at her now though- three legs and she's climbing trees and chasing the dog.

My girlfriend heard the sound of running water coming from our bathroom. I was away on a fishing trip, so she knew it wasn't me and knew for a fact that she hadn't used the bathroom sink. She walked into the bathroom to find the oldest of our 3 cats (4 yrs old) peeing in the toilet. We have never trained him to do this, and have had him since he was 8 weeks old. Completely amazing...

That picture is absolutely amazing.

Hey thanks! Wish I could take the credit. My better half is responsible for that. She is an aspiring photographer..I think she gets some great shots. That is with her new Nikon D200 we got her last year. Up till now she has shot only film religiously. Now she is turning into a Gimp aficionado.

Don't like to thread jack but I will take it off course for a minute.

Flickr: sabianmaggy's Photostream

This is just a sliver of what she has shot. She's very critical of her pictures so she doesn't put tons up.

Very nice! I've had my Rebel XT for a little over a year now and love it. My girlfriend actually bought me a book so I can really learn how to use the camera, rather than just P&S.

Holy crap, I love your stairs!

Your cat looks like my gf's... that kitty had to have a leg amputated after a bad encounter with an over-aggressive dog. You almost wouldn't know it by looking at her now though- three legs and she's climbing trees and chasing the dog.

Thanks...we kind of live in a hobbit house...here's a pic of the railing (cat included):

winter_coat_022.jpg

Cute Pets!! :D

I have a three-legged dobie (hence the name Tripod) and a boxer. I'll get some photos on here tomorrow but for now you can look at my avatar...

-Tripod

OK! Pics as promised! BTW, I was kidding about squinting at my avatar...:D

First up, LUGER...my 5 year old, spring-loaded, hair-trigger, boxer boy.
IMG_4700.jpg

Next is KALE...my 10 year old Doberman Pinscher. This was back when he had all fours. :)
IMG_4730.jpg

Back yard play time
crazydog.jpg

This is just to give an idea of just how big/tall Kale was in his prime. I know there are tons of heavier breeds but Kale just grew to giant proportions for his breed. Dobies are usually around 70lbs...Kale is 110lb AFTER amputating the leg!!
Kale2.jpg

so, I guess this is the most appropriate place to rant about this.

a friend of mine has taken care of a yellow lab for about the past year. she got the dog because her younger sister adopted it when it was about 4 months old and then promptly moved off to college and assumed she sister would take care of the dog. that was about a year ago and the sister who moved away in no way financially supported the dog. anyway, my friend raised it, it lives with her and her other dogs and is very much a part of the family/pack. the younger sister now decides the dog is still hers and wants to take it up to L.A. with her to live in an apartment with 6 other people. a lab that is just over a year old! in an apartment! with a 20 year old college student! she has gone so far as to start huge arguments with her sister insisting that it is still her dog and she has every right to take it. anyway, I'm firmly on the side of my friend because I think it is mean to take the dog away from it's pack, especially to put it in an apartment where 7 people live to be taken care of by a 20 year old college student.

I mean, I'm right here aren't I? first of all the sister gave up rights to that dog by leaving it for over a year and not being financially accountable for it, and it is just plain mean to uproot a dog like that and put it in an environment that isn't suited to it.

anyway, I guess I'm just trying to see if other people agree with this. and for the record my friend is NOT going to let her sister take the dog.

this is my roommates dog Calypso. she is the most well behaved 1 year old dog I have ever met. though she did drink some of my Belgian IPA I made out of my glass. I'm still drinking it though.
n1016782035_470254_4530255.jpg

Here's my attack bird, Snitchy:

5-26-06023-1.jpg

Got him in 1987.
Yes, he's old enough to go to the bar with me.
He's wild, not hand raised, so he was only $30.
I'm the only person in the whole world that he likes, but he'll even attack me sometimes.
My guess is that he thinks I am a bird.

I loves my birdie!

Here's my attack bird, Snitchy:

5-26-06023-1.jpg

Got him in 1987.
Yes, he's old enough to go to the bar with me.
He's wild, not hand raised, so he was only $30.
I'm the only person in the whole world that he likes, but he'll even attack me sometimes.
My guess is that he thinks I am a bird.

I loves my birdie!
Very cool!

I will take bites from dogs all day during work, but those ****ers scare me. Ya cant read them like a dog and they could take a finger off, I must train an attack parrot!

I can't believe I hadn't posted in this thread yet.

Here is my 7 year old Eclectus parrot, Freddie

Freddie_28_Small_.jpg

My Chilean Zebra tarantula, Delbert

delbert_Small_.jpg

And here are just a few of the animals that I care for everyday and who I consider my kids.

Seven_Seas_445_Small_.jpg

1-23-09_Seven_Seas_139_Small_.jpg

I haven't been to Brookfield in many years, you're the perfect person to ask.
I see dolphins in your pics. Is there dolphin show at Brookfield?
I love that s**t!

We got Ava 2 weeks ago from a rescue organization. She'd been kept outside all year long in a cage with her mate that was not big enough for both of them to lay down at the same time. She is 3 years old and probably had 4 litters. Anyway she just got spayed day before yesterday and has been settling in to the house.

She's not as evil as she looks, very much as sweetie (but stubborn)
P6220078-400.jpg

P6260081-400.jpg

Gotta give props to my two canine pals, Otto (the boxer) and Goodman (the white "labra-moose"). Both are rescues...Goodman from an animal shelter and Otto from a busted puppy mill (He has some scarring from burns as a very young pup. They don't bother him, though I'm mindful not to get them in pics):

driving_dogs_bw.jpg

Great shot, that would make a great Christmas card or something.

Hmm. don't look like a boxer... Sometimes animal shelters call pit bulls boxers to help them get adopted. I could be mistaken.

I love both breeds, have had 3 pits, and they are great dogs. Snyder died last year at 12. He was a ridgeback mix, 95 pounds, knee high at the back, and could jump and grab something over 6 feet up. Amazing dog.

I haven't been to Brookfield in many years, you're the perfect person to ask.
I see dolphins in your pics. Is there dolphin show at Brookfield?
I love that s**t!

Well you just happen to stumble upon the right guy to ask those questions. We currently house 3 dolphins at Brookfield but we will not be having shows until the spring/summer 2010. Reason being we are transporting the dolphins to another facility in the fall because we are renovating the 20 year old stadium. Even though we aren't having shows we aren't having shows this summer the stadium is still open for 2 hours a day to the public to see them from above and we have some informal play sessions with them for behavioral enrichment as well as to entertain the public a bit. Not as exciting as a show but better than nothing. And hey, it's free.

When we comeback in the spring of 2010 we'll be bringing in more dolphins and have a pretty awesome new show.

Feel free to PM me if you're gonna stop on in. I may have to make up some homebrew to dolphin pet exchange rate ;)

My cats Toby & Chubber
Cats.jpg

My 1/2 husky, 1/2 Rott Thor
Thor2-1.jpg

and my snake killer
1-1.jpg

Just kidding about the snake but that would be cool! :D

We have a 7 year old cat, and a 10month olf Australian Shepherd

Belle, a week before we brought her home
n814833698_1040364_3611.jpg

We have a cat too, Raven
n814833698_1040366_4070.jpg

We did the Obideance school thing...
n814833698_1277592_1996.jpg

She loves her frisbee
2651_59583778698_814833698_1424575_6060015_n.jpg

taking her sister for a walk
2651_59583783698_814833698_1424576_801877_n.jpg

and sharing SWMBO's water
2651_59583788698_814833698_1424577_3054777_n.jpg

After the dog talk in the "so I'm looking for a dog" thread I thought I'd relocate over here for posting dog pics.

Jerry as a puppy:
jerry_04_Medium_.jpg

A couple years ago:
jerry_07_Medium_.jpg

Don't have anything more recent, he's 5 now.

Here is Baily, she is about 17 months now and really hard to keep her out of the pool

Puppy Baily

p1040464-300x225.jpg

Me my lady and Baily

IMG_0554sm-433x650.jpg

Hanging with some friends

Lake-pics-071109-045-400x300.jpg

On a hike and needed a break

p1040951s2.jpg

Camping

p1040954s.jpg

Having a swim

At-the-pool00101.JPG

Even helps when brewing

P1040885-800.jpg

Well you could guess by my name that I love my hounds.

JonathansCamera051.jpg

Reggie the Beagle and Wendy the Red Tick.

JonathansCamera112.jpg

Wendy doing Her best work. You will never find a squirrel in my yard.

SWMBO's uncle breeds and trains Labs as hunt dogs. Jade was one of their certified girls, but she's too old to breed in a safe manner now. We offered our place as a great place for her to retire to. All she does now is follow SWMBO around the house all day.

copper_creek_kennel011017.jpg

That was the day we got him from the humane society. He needed a little bit of cleaning up, but he's good now. I absolutely love his coloration.

13 years old, and she;s still my baby-girl.. She's the best dog ever, sweet, good-natured, funny.
Here's Sabrina inspecting my post-brew clean-up.

DSC03359_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back