Personal brewing "companies"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
I see a fair number of members here indicate a "company" in their sig lines (like "It's My Brew, Co."... I made that example up). Just wondering...those who do this, do you actually have businesses selling home brew? (Licensing must be a nightmare.) Or is there some other reason to do that?

I'd love to have a tax deduction (and it's easy to create an "inc"). But I can't think of any way to make it a for-profit enterprise other than selling the brew, and I imagine that requires all kinds of red tape...

TIA

Mark

Most of them are just names attached because they have meaning. My brew room is called Bear Track Brewing not because its a business (it is not) but for another reason. I just like it. Some are professionals and yes it is a lot of red tape.

95% are not real.

You cannot legally sell alcohol that is fermented at your house. Now there are some loop holes, but anything fermented not at a place of business with correct licenses is illegal.

I see a fair number of members here indicate a "company" in their sig lines (like "It's My Brew, Co."... I made that example up). Just wondering...those who do this, do you actually have businesses selling home brew? (Licensing must be a nightmare.) Or is there some other reason to do that?

I'd love to have a tax deduction (and it's easy to create an "inc"). But I can't think of any way to make it a for-profit enterprise other than selling the brew, and I imagine that requires all kinds of red tape...

Because it sounds cool. It's simply a pride thing. Not actual companies.

Do not deduct homebrewing on your taxes. It's a hobby. You'll get audited and lose. Your intuition is correct - the expense and regulation required to legally sell beer far exceeds any tax savings you'd have deducting some hops and grain.

My brewing "company" gives away beer BUT sells t-shirts and other merch. I poured at a beer festival last September and chronicled it here....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/pinnacle-my-homebrewing-experience-269499/
I grossed right around 1K in t-shirt sales! We laugh about it that in so many ways it is better to keep giving away homebrew and make money on merchandise. MUCH less red tape! We are a legitimate business though....collect sales tax, sellers permit, ficticious business name, etc.. Someday I hope to be a "real" brewery but in the mean time this is really fun way to operate.

I want to say that in some areas of the country, local zoning laws DO allow to operate a commercial nano-brewery out of your house. But those areas are few and far between, probably still a boatload of red tape, and most of us with brewing "companies" are not companies. However, I'd think if any of us DO take the plunge and go pro, it'd make establishing the name as a trademark easier since it's already been in use.

I named mine "white cougar brewery" after my late father's CB handle. Sort of an omage to my now past bar room buddy. Their the best kind,...

A lot are not real, people just like doing it because it's fun and you can come up with labels or custom taps.

You already are taking a hobby that you are making something your own with your own flavor why not take it one step further.

I would imagine there are a lot of people that hear stories about how the big guys started out home brewing, and dream of doing the same. Obviously most people realize this will probably never happen, but we still like to pretend!!

I would imagine there are a lot of people that hear stories about how the big guys started out home brewing, and dream of doing the same. Obviously most people realize this will probably never happen, but we still like to pretend!!

Oh god, no!!
I'd have to go back to AG and accounting. Thats work and stress.

Oh god, no!!
I'd have to go back to AG and accounting. Thats work and stress.

I would say that, but I love being a Flight Instructor, so if anything ever happens with selling beer it would just be icing on the cake where my job is concerned! :mug:

+1 for not real... but fun! I like to create cool labels for my homebrew; if I don't have a brewery name, it hurts the effect.

Mine is a tribute to my grandfather. We called him "Pap." Pap's real name was "Don." One time, in his later years, he called the house and got the answering machine. He got all confused and was like..."Hi..This is Pap. Don. Just calling to say hi."

From that point on, we called him Pap Don. Thus, Pap Don Brewers.

Back