Perpetual NY/NJ/CT bulk grain thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hophead, sounds good and congratulations on the crusher! It feels great to be able to buy in bulk and crush your own. I'll add you to the list -- just let me know the specifics.

Who else wants in?

I'm so happy I could cry... I'l take at least 2 bags of Marris Otter, are hops on the menu as well, these prices look like something out of a 1980's catalog... Can we specify which malter's grains we prefer? Who ever organized this is my hero.
Im in Montclair, Essex county, and would be happy to run sacks to the gardenstate for pick up.

I'm so happy I could cry... I'l take at least 2 bags of Marris Otter, are hops on the menu as well, these prices look like something out of a 1980's catalog... Can we specify which malter's grains we prefer? Who ever organized this is my hero.
Im in Montclair, Essex county, and would be happy to run sacks to the gardenstate for pick up.

I'm going to put in a call to North Country and see what the hop situation is. We have ordered hops from them in the past, but I seem to remember that as of our last group buy, they had stopped selling them. I'll check into it and let you all know the scoop.

You can choose between maltsters -- just follow the instructions early in the thread (post #8 if I recall correctly) to download the catalog and pick what you like. The sooner I have all the specifics, the sooner the order can be placed.

Spread the word about the group buy if you have brewing friends near you!

Looks like someone just missed the last bulk buy - what was it in September? I might jump in on this one too, but I will let you know.

Yeah, thanks again for handling the last one Rommel! I'd love to return the favor if you need anything this time around.

Looks like someone just missed the last bulk buy - what was it in September? I might jump in on this one too, but I will let you know.

yea.. i just discovered this site.. i am floored by the bulk prices we can get. this will cut end product cost in half for me. I am a complete brew junkie, i cant get enough... and this will allow me to share more with my friends.

i am open to sharing partial bags of specialty grains with anyone looking for a partial...

thank you all this rocks..

I'd be up for a bag of Maris Otter if this goes down in the next couple weeks. I'm in Windsor and don't get to NYC much, but if i could coordinate with shecky i could pick mine up from Watertown on Jan 23rd.

The following brewers haven't specified details for their orders:

tkone
airborneguy
HopheadNJ

Please let me know ASAP what you would like.

Thanks!

I'd be up for a bag of 2-row if this goes down in the next couple weeks. I'm in Windsor and don't get to NYC much, but if i could coordinate with shecky i could pick mine up from Watertown on Jan 23rd.
I'll help you out when this happens. I get up at least near Windsor fairly often so I'm sure we could work something out.

I just caught this thread. I live in the Jerzee but work in NYC. Is there still time to get in on the order? I usually use Briess 2 row or organic 2 row. What would be a good alternate or equivelant. For Hops, you may want to check out Nikos, they sell in the 5 -11 lb and larger range.

I would definitely take some crystal 60 as well. Maybe not a half bag, but 10-15 lbs if there is some to spare.

I think we're up to about 33 bags now!

I'll take 10# of crystal 60.

I also have an unopened bag of munich/vienna I can split up and bring on pickup. Let me know

B

an idea.. if we can get 6 guys to go in for 6 specialty grains we can stock up nicely and on the cheap.. each person picks a grain and we get pot luck..
i could use:
cara-wheat from Franco-Belges FB-CWHT
or Honey Malt from Gambrinus GB-Hony
let me know if anyone is interested.

if we can do this with hops it would be cool too

BTW joshuafields I am upping my order as well..
i'm in for a sack of:
CM-WHEAT
TF-MOPA
TF-GPRM
BD-MOPA
BZ-PILS
TF-PRL

if we dont order soon i may end up with a pallet myself...
Thanks Again!

I could use a couple of sacks of base grain and perhaps some splits on crystal, wheat, etc, etc.

Any of you Jersey guys care to haul grain for a fair price? I live in Monmouth Co. but travel up North as well for work. Will gladly share tolls and gas. I could always make the trip to Brooklyn as well?

I'll take 10# of crystal 60.

I also have an unopened bag of munich/vienna I can split up and bring on pickup. Let me know

B

How old is the Munich/Vienna?

I'd be in for that 6 way split but that's not gonna be fun for whoever has to weigh it out.

I'd be in for that 6 way split but that's not gonna be fun for whoever has to weigh it out.

If it comes down to that i have no problem chopping up some grains... Perhaps we could be on the honor system, bring a scale, five bags and take 11#s of each?
Bad Coffee.. if you are looking to get rid of the Munich?vienna, throw it in for pot luck and get some diversification
Joshuafeilds.. you want in on this?...

i guess its a 5 way split not 6... my bad

Thanks flan for the offer! Count me in for a bag of Canada 2row and a bag of Canada pale. I'll also take a share of crystal, munich, wheat and whatever else is being whacked up for the group.

Send me bill when ya got it figured.

Thanks, Mike

Put me in for 1 - Marris Otter & 1 - 2 Row. Where is the p/u for this going to be at?

Unless someone else has a better idea, it will be delivered to my studio on 33rd ST between 2nd and 3rd Ave in Brooklyn. This is good because there is a loading dock and we can avoid paying a lift gate fee, but my studio is on the 5th floor so it will be best if as much of the grain as possible can be picked up on the day of delivery.

If it comes down to that i have no problem chopping up some grains... Perhaps we could be on the honor system, bring a scale, five bags and take 11#s of each?
Joshuafeilds.. you want in on this?...

i guess its a 5 way split not 6... my bad

Hey pickledherring -- I really like the idea, just wondering if we're all going to be able to agree on malts we can all use. I know I could use some aromatic, for example, but definitely don't need any wheat or honey malt.

If the breakdown was to be 11# each, I'd be interested in:

Aromatic
chocolate
acidulated
Roasted Barley
flaked maize
flaked rice

Also, we're going to have to take a total bag count before we finalize something like this. I'm not sure if NCM will allow more than 40 bags on a pallet, and we probably don't want to wait for a second pallet to fill up before we place the order. I will finalize what I need with my brew buddy this weekend and we can go from there.

PS -- I emailed NCM to inquire about hops, as my schedule didn't allow for daytime phone calls this week. No reply... I'll see if I can call on Monday.

The grain is from the last group buy last July. The bag is unopened, and is in another plastic bag.

I have a scale and some ziplock bags. Dividing up the bag will only take 20 minutes. I'll just pull out the scale and the bucket.

B

Alright, don't order a new bag of the vienna/munich for me...I'll pay for some of the bad coffee bag. Depending on the list of the specialty grains I might be interested. THings I might use...

Honey malt
Wheat
Pils
Crystal
Roasted
Chocolate
Aromatic

I haven't used maize or rice but might consider doing something with some of it. As far as picking it up I'd prefer not to drive to Brooklyn, if someone is willing to haul a little closer I'd chip in some gas money.

I'd love to get in on this if it's not too late. I'd like to get a bag of Canadian pale and possibly some Canadian 2Row as well. If you guys are still looking for people to get in on partial bags of crystal, vienna, or munich i'd be in for that as well. If someone is willing to drive some bags to Jersey I'd happily help them out with some gas money. Hopefully I didn't show up too late to the bulk guy party. Love this idea!

I'd love to get in on this if it's not too late. I'd like to get a bag of Canadian pale and possibly some Canadian 2Row as well. If you guys are still looking for people to get in on partial bags of crystal, vienna, or munich i'd be in for that as well. If someone is willing to drive some bags to Jersey I'd happily help them out with some gas money. Hopefully I didn't show up too late to the bulk guy party. Love this idea!

Hey Lenny -- I think we're going to have to put a hold on new additions to the order for a couple days and firm up the orders of all brewers who have expressed interest up to this point. It would probably take a while to fill up a second pallet, so I want to finalize this first pallet and make sure we aren't over our limit. If we still have room, you are first in line. If you don't get on this pallet, we'll just start a tally for the next group buy; that's the idea behind this thread -- a perpetual group shopping list with more frequent orders.

Pickledherring - Let me know if you're still planning on heading east and p/u some sacks. I'm in for 2 bags, let me know and we can work something out. Montclair is an easy pickup for me. Can't wait for bulk grain! :rockin:

how many sacks are there so far? i dont need it but i would be in for sack of pilsner to help fill the pallet if pickledherrin doesnt mind picking it up. if hops are included(im not sure how NCM counts them for the pallet/shipping charge) i would be interested in half a pound of simcoe or northernbrewer.

i can set up a excel spreadsheet like last time if we want, shouldent take to long since i would just have to change the names and update the numbers

Back