Peroni clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale402

Reaction score
whats up guys I am definitely not an expert brewer i am somewhat i newb but i enjoy it so much! I have about 6-7 brews under my belt but i want to get better and this is the first time I'm going rogue and not used a kit with directions. I also plan to keg for the first time and want to keg this brew! my concern is if this recipe i came up with for a peroni clone makes sense. it took me all morning to do the research and put this together. I am looking for feedback and advice on what to do with this.

I am not sure which to use DME or LME or even if any at all
Is flaked Maize being Steeped with the grains?

Again this is a rough outline of what i would like to do, please correct/change things around if needed. Here is the recipe!

Peroni Clone "Percloni" (Lager)

Ingredients

Steeping Grains
7 lbs Crushed lager malt
Crushed crystal malt = 0.27 lbs
flaked maize = 1.6 lbs (is this considered a steeping grain?)

Extract & Sugars
DME?
LME?
Which to use? Breiss pilsen light? How much?

Hops
1oz Magnum
1.5oz Saaz

Water
3.5gal

Yeast (3 options, which one?)
Pilsner lager yeast/European lager yeast/ WLP800 Pilsner Lager est. AA 75%

Lets Begin

Take Yeast pack out of fridge

Heat 3.5 gallons of water to 155

Steep Grains at 155 Degrees for 20-30 min

Bring to a boil

Add all DME or LME + solids (60 min)

Hop Additions

1oz Magnum (60 min)
.5oz Saaz (30min)
.5oz Saaz (15min)
.5oz Saaz (Flameout)

When boil is complete

Pour wort into cold water and chill to 45 degrees (top bucket off to 5 gallon mark)
Take gravity reading
Rehydrate yeast at 45 degrees
Pitch yeast into chilled wort (45 degrees)
Stir vigorously
Place wort in chamber and let naturally rise to 55 degrees in chamber
Maintain 55 degrees and ferment at this temperature until final gravity reading is the same 3 days apart
When primary fermentation is complete or close to completed raise temp to 65-68 for dialectal rest
Transfer into secondary and cold crash at 35 degrees for 3-10 days

When all steps are complete transfer to a bottling bucket clean/sanitize Keg and transfer.

For a partial mash like this and looking for a light colored beer you're going to want to use DME if you don't have the capacity to do a full-grain mash and full-volume boil. LME will likely be too dark. Mash to grains closer to 148, otherwise you're going to have too much body in the beer. Other than that it looks fine. There are a lot of different methods for lager production temperature-wise.

Awesome thank you for the feedback and the quick response. So by you mean mashing closer to 148 you're saying steep the greens around 148° Correct? Also by other methods of lagering do you have any advice?

Latest posts

Back