perlick and shank still leaking!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
I have replaced the 5" shank with a 3" one. After hand fitting the two in the lhbs. Came home hooked the new one up and still leaks.
It seems like this is a common problem with perlick taps and shanks. It doesn't make much sense to me the way the tap and shank join together (with metal grooved teeth as the only real connection)
Any ideas are greatly appreciated

My next option would be to add another o-ring to the inside.
Pic of the tap:

ForumRunner_20110611_141436.jpg

Sorry bout that. I can't figure how to do it. Im on my phone right now. Is there a way to do it on a droid phone?

where is it leaking from? Are you using teflon tape as well? I'm going to be setting up my kegerator next weekend with a shank and perlick faucet and now you got me worried

You need to make sure you have a stainless steel shank. The new perlicks won't work with the chrome shanks at all.

Unfortunately this is a common issue. The options seem to be to test fit a bunch of perlick SS shanks until you find one that will mate with the faucet well, grind the internal alighnment teeth down, or double up on the o-rings and tighten the crap out of it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/perlick-faucet-problem-155398/

You need to make sure you have a stainless steel shank. The new perlicks won't work with the chrome shanks at all.

Yep, and unfortunately even many of the SS shanks don't quite line up right.

The problem: The shank that you are getting is chrome plated brass. The plating makes it an extremely tight fit or not fit at all. The faucet is manufactured to a very close tolerance for Stainless shanks. I suggest you try one of those at your LHBS.

Sorry bout that. I can't figure how to do it. Im on my phone right now. Is there a way to do it on a droid phone?

JuanMoore said:
Unfortunately this is a common issue. The options seem to be to test fit a bunch of perlick SS shanks until you find one that will mate with the faucet well, grind the internal alighnment teeth down, or double up on the o-rings and tighten the crap out of it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/perlick-faucet-problem-155398/

Yep, and unfortunately even many of the SS shanks don't quite line up right.

Will teflon tape help this situation?

Or is it a matter of the SS to chrome?

I got my perlicks to seal to the chrome shanks with a little effort. Two worked fine with no extra work, but on two I lubed the splines and the threads with keg lube. Then by alternately wiggling the faucet and tightening the collar I was able to get them to seal up. If the faucet wiggles on the shank, its going to leak, but after wiggling it a little, the collar loosened up and I could tighten it down an eighth of a turn until it was eventually tight.

Ya same with me. I have 5 taps all perlicks with Crome shanks. I haven't had any problems at all with any of them. I have one that is a little hard to tighten but no leaks at all. All I can suggest is to Mao sure you tighten them enough. And make sure there not cross thread, if that's even possible with these.
Good luck

Hmmm ... it's interesting that neither of the places I was talking to about kits mentioned that to me, although they surely must know about it ... in the end, I bought the 525PC faucets with chrome/brass shanks, so hopefully I won't have the same problem ...

I have 3 and all have Crome/brass shanks with perlick faucets. 2 went right on even sealed just hand tightening. The third I had to wiggle while screwing on. No real problems. Maybe it's the quality of the shank?

Latest posts

Back