Perlick 630ss tap part too loose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
Have a few 525's and just purchased some 630's that haven't been hooked up to kegs yet. The top part that screws to a tap handle seem super easy to open and close. When I have a tap handle on I can barely touch it and it rocks open. My 525's don't open and close near this easy and I can't seem to tighten anything to change this?

I just hooked up two 630ss's the other day and noticed that aswell, though it didnt affect the pours at all, and doesn't leak at all. Would be curious to know if amyone has more knowlegde in this matter to share though.

I assume you tightened up that top bonnet? I needed a rag to get enough tourque into it but it's stiffened it up quite a bit. Mine was a 650ss

I did tighten the bonnet but it doesn't seem to make a difference? I really don't like the feel of these and how a strong breeze would open the tap!

I installed two new 630ss taps and a new tower just before Christmas - one was quite loose the way you described and the other was very stiff, however they both pour the same and work great. Loving the new double tap tower!

I recently decided to upgrade two of my three faucets to 650ss control flow.
My three tap keezer has been set up with two 525ss and one 630ss since I built it. Orginally, I was planning on a two tapper, but realized I had room for three even with my 10lb co2 tank inside....boom....ordered a third, but then heard kegconnection couldnt get anymore 525 and only had the new 630 or go ventmatic...decided to stay with Perlick.
When I first got the "odd man out 630", I was not a huge fan. The stamped P didnt look as nice as the scripted P on the 525's and the biggest thing it felt slightly loose and easy to move from on and off. But...over time I have noticed one big thing about the difference. When you shut off the 630, its like wham...I'm turned off. With the 525 it was like shutting off a normal faucet with a few extra drips and if you haven't clean the lines recently...it felt...like you were slightly pushing to get it to valve off. Don't get me wrong, love the 525, and I know they have discontinued and are no longer in production. But the on/off function of the 630 is superior after my initial hesitant reaction when I first received them. Another huge thing was the extra 1.2 inch distance away from the shank for those who use chest freezers without towers. The 630 gave plenty of clearance even for the longest tap handles, the 525, not so much (always barely knicking a tap open when I had to get inside to change a keg, etc.). So, I am glad to say, I have retired the 525 for 650's, keeping them for my 5 tap keezer when my little Kenmore decides to leave us. I will reinstall the 525's until I get the money, but...I'm hoping the 650's give me that control with the solidarity of the 630 and I dont have to worry about raising that keezer lid! I can shut those control flows off and never even blink an eye. Cheers.

I recently converted a Nostalgia kegerator into a dual tap system and used 2 Perlick 630ss on it. This is my first kegerator but my buddy has a 5 tap keezer with the 525's. I showed him my new 630ss before installing and his complaint was the same as you guys' about the loose handle. He had me a bit nervous but after I got everything hooked up and running there were zero issues. He came over a few weeks later and was super impressed with the pours and feel of the 630's compared to his 525's. He also had the same response of how the 630's closed like "WHAM".

"630's" and a loose feeling handle........Do they still exhibit the same looseness, with head pressure on them?

Just curious if you notice a difference.

My 630ss 's work perfectly fine, and I had the same concerns.

My only issue is when I remove the tap locks, the tap opens up. But once you close it, it's closed....until the next time you pull from it, or unlock it.

.........But...over time I have noticed one big thing about the difference. When you shut off the 630, its like wham...I'm turned off. With the 525 it was like shutting off a normal faucet with a few extra drips and if you haven't clean the lines recently...it felt...like you were slightly pushing to get it to valve off. Don't get me wrong, love the 525, and I know they have discontinued and are no longer in production. But the on/off function of the 630 is superior after my initial hesitant reaction when I first received them........

Totally agree. My cousin runs 630s on his kegerator and the off/on is much more solid than my 525s.

I have 2) 525s and a 630. The stiffness is about the same. The 630 has a slightly shorter "throw" and feels a little more mechanical. I don't really notice the difference anymore. If yours is loose I would look to trying to tighten it up. I don't know enough to know how that would be done.

Loose isn't a proper adjective toward the 630. I would say it feels like it has less gasket tightness than the 525, which in fact I believe is the case. The faucet works as intended, and shuts off with more authority. And ...just to update.. I filled an old 16 oz swing top and the newer 15.5 oz swing top to proper levels straight from my 650 flow control without a growler filler, had hardly any co2 leave solution on that small of liquid volume. I'm sold on the 650. You literally can bottle straight from the faucet with the flow control turned all the way down. Freezing the bottles before filling would be even better and I'm convinced you could fill a regular 12 ounce bottle with the 650, and probably never look back if you added a growler filler on top of it. They are expensive, but the 650 takes the 630 to another level. Cheers.

Back