Perle and Tettnanger: What should I make with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I have 2oz of Perle and 2oz of Tettnanger at home, and I'm not sure what to do with them. They are left overs from a clone recipe I don't want to redo right now.

Any ideas on what I should use them in? (Ales only). What styles are they commonly used in?

I was thinking about doing an an Alt, or an American APA or Amber type beer with these hops instead of the usual American citrusy hops just for fun. I want something with a good amount of hop aroma.

There's a Sierra N. Pale ale recipe that uses Perle. Not sure about the Tet, but an Alt would likely work with that.

The bitterness from the Perle is somewhat harsh, but the Tettnanger gives you some nice smooth bitterness. Make an Alt (use all the Tettnanger and supplement with the Perle if necessary) or make an Oktoberfest style Ale with the Tettnanger.

Kai

Tettnanger is a popular choice for Tripels, Dubbels and the like. Although the 2 oz in itself probably wouldn't yield enough bittering for a Tripel. I have never used Perle.

this is going to sound a bit weird but go with it for just a second.

I did a rather non-traditional Hefe with Perles and Tetts. it turned out fantastic too!! Granted the amounts were extremely small but it worked

Rogue Dead Guy is usually Perle and Saaz but I'd be willing to bet that it would be just fine with Perle & Tettnang. Yooper has a Dead Guy clone recipe in the database that has gotten good reviews.

Chad

American or German Perle? The US Perle is a good bittering hop for IPA's, but the German is also a nice aroma hop for German style beers. Tettnang might be OK for some Belgian ales.

I use U.S. Perle in all sorts of beers as a bittering hop, and I've always been happy with it. It often does start out a bit harsh, but it smooths out very nicely after a few weeks of conditioning. I even dry hop with it. U.S. Perle doesn't limit your options much at all, if you bitter with it. If you want flavor or aroma, it even evokes enough European thoughts to get you by.

Tettnanger, on the other hand, has that nice, spicy central European character. You ought think more in that area if you want to use Tettnanger for flavor or aroma.

TL

I'm in a similar predicament, I've got 80g (2.8oz) of tettnanger and I'm not sure what would be most suitable to brew, especially considering it's the hottest part of summer down here. I'm guessing that the high temperatures would lend themselves more to a Belgian beer, but I don't have much experience with these beers - and I don't know how realistic it would be for me to get ahold of some proper examples where I live, 'cause it seems like they aren't neccessarily for everyone.

Back