Period of Time in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screech49

Reaction score
I am brewing a Black Dog Ale by Midwest Supplies and this is my first brew, so I am obviously nervous/excited. I forgot to take a hydrometer reading and was wondering how long to keep it in the primary before moving into secondary carboy, then to bottling?

Also, how do you know what your beginning and ending gravity readings should be around? I did not see any suggestions on the ingredients kit that I ordered.

Kevin

Leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, forego the secondary, bottle and prime, wait another 3 weeks.

Sample and enjoy.

You should have had a paper that came with the kit giving you the instructions on brewing. At the top right hand corner it will give you expected SG and FG

Thanks skimo281, I overlooked that.

Schnitzengiggle: Why would I skip the secondary if I have one? From everything I've read thus far it helps to filter out some unwanted tastes from the trub and also makes for a clearer looking beer.

I think the unwanted tastes from the trub is debatable. Some even think that by leaving the beer on the yeast, the yeast are able to clean up certain off-flavors. You certainly could get clearer beer by going with a secondary, but I doubt it will be anything substantial as long as you're careful to not suck up the trub before bottling.
There is a small risk of contamination by using a secondary and the benefits of using a secondary seem pretty negligible, so most people skip it.
Use your secondary for edwort's apfelwein instead :p

Most kits from midwest I go the 1 - 2 - 3 method. I week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 week bottle. Make sure primary is done or almost done before transferring.

Schnitzengiggle said:
Leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, forego the secondary, bottle and prime, wait another 3 weeks.

Sample and enjoy.

This. I gave up on secondary a few months ago. The trub flavor scare is a myth unless you expect to leave the beer on the yeast for 8 months or more. Off flavors generally result from poor sanitation or poor fermentation temp control, not from trub.

The flavors from leaving the beer on the yeast longer are indeed not strong, but they are there none the less. Many folks had believed the flavors would be stronger, and objectionable. This is not the case. They can be very subtle, especially in darker and hoppy beer. They can be more noticeable in lighter styles.

Once you feel comfortable with brewing, try a batch both ways and see which you prefer. That is one of the joys of brewing - you can brew a beer exactly to your tastes

Back