Perfect IPA: Pit Fruit / Citrus Fruit / Other

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFWINZLOW

Why I oughta...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1. Which flavor do you prefer?
2. What hop combo do you use to obtain those flavors?
3. What is your favorite commercial example of this recipie you seek:tank:?

I've done a few batches of an ipa with Summit for bittering and Nelson for aroma with either summit or nelson for dry hop. Still working on perfecting the recipe, but it has had a very good response.
I don't know of any commercial examples, but then I don't get out much.

1. If the brew is an English bitter then a stone fruit is what I like and expect. If the brew is American then citrus fruit is what I like and expect. I think both are good.
2. In English bitters the stone fruit comes more from fermenting a good English ale yeast at 18.5C to 20C than it would from the floral, earthy woodsy hops of the English Isles. When making an English bitter I use UK Fuggles, UK Bamling Cross, UK East Kent Goldings. For an American IPA the yeast is a lot cleaner and the more delicate citrus hops can be the key to the correct flavor. I like to pair Columbus (AKA Tomahawk or Zeus) with Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe and Cascade.
3. Favorite commercial English bitter is made by Newaygo Brewing Co in Newaygo Michigan (they do not distribute so you have to go there to get it.) My favorite American IPA, well I have 4... Mad Hatter from New Holland, Huma Lupa Licious from Shorts Brewing and Bells Two Hearted Ale and Founders Centennial IPA.

Back