Percentages with no quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal_J

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am new to home brewing and I am hooked. I have a recipe that is given only in percentages. What is a good reference for determining the total amount of grain for a specific style of beer? For example how much total grain for a porter or an IPA. I have searched so far with no luck in this area.

Thank you in advance...

It'll take some time but play around with some brewing software.

I'd suggest hopville since it isn't overwhelming and you are new.

Basically plug in the grains and adjust to get your percentages in-line, then adjust upwards to hit the target ABV% or Original Gravity while keeping the percentages proper.

Post the recipe and I'll show you an example.

On average most grains similar to pale malt give 36 points per pound per gallon.

So as an example 10 pounds of pale malt
10x36x.7(70% eff)/5 gallons will give you a beer with ~1.050 SG

I have an excel sheet i use for this. I'll send it to you if you pm me your email (apparently you can't upload excel files to a post).

Thank you all for the replies...

The recipe is a Fullers London Porter clone I found on here:

74% Pale Malt
10% Brown Malt
8% Crystal 75
8% Chocolate Malt

Fuggles 27 IBU

WY1968

7 lbs 6.4 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.0 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (Crisp) (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
12.8 oz Chocolate (Crisp) (630.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
12.8 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.0 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Should be in the ballpark, it's a little darker due to the chocolate malt coming from Crisp, Hugh Baird might be closer?
This is for 5 gallons of 1.053 wort with 70% efficiency.

The best investment that a new brewer can make is buy some good brew software. It is not that expensive but a very valuable tool.

They all offer free 30 day trials, so you can try them out to see which one you like.

WWW.brewersfriend.com offers recipe calculators that help you build recipes from scratch, or modify existing ones. It is completely free, and I find it very helpful. I have used it to log my old recipes, and create some new ones. Give them a try...

I will have to let you guys know how the recipe turns out...

@Rockfish, I think I amy give this a try...
@BeerGolf and DrummerBoySeth, I will also look into software. Should take some of the guesswork out...

I have a recipe that is given only in percentages. What is a good reference for determining the total amount of grain for a specific style of beer? For example how much total grain for a porter or an IPA. I have searched so far with no luck in this area.

Having a recipe in percentages rather than amounts is actually a GOOD thing...but I'll explain why later.

You're unlikely to find any reference that will give you what you've asked for above - a guide to grain quantities by beer style. Sure, you might find something that will tell you what types of grains are used in particular beer styles, some general guidelines about their proportions and the range of OG and color for individual beer styles, but you won't find something that tells you exact amounts of each grain to use for a given beer style because the actual quantities of grains needed vary from brewer to brewer.

One of the major reasons that grain quantities vary between brewers is what is known as efficiency. That's a measure of the total amount of fermentable sugars actually extracted in the mash and sparge compared to the theoretical maximum amounts available in the grains. Some brewers get high efficiency numbers 85 - 90%. Some get low efficiency numbers - 60 -70%. Those that have lower efficiency will have to use larger quantities of grains that those with higher effciency.

That's where the advantage of the percentatges rather than actual quantities in a a recipe comes in. If you know your efficiency and you know the grain percentages, you can work out the exact amounts of each grain you'll need to hit your target OG. If you're only going by the weights provided ina recipe and your efficiency is different from the person that created the recipe, you're gonna get different OG numbers.

Until you know what efficiency your system has, you can generally assume that you'll get around 70%. The other alternative is to brew a batch using a recipe that sounds good to you and take note of your OG reading compared to the one published with the recipe. You can adjust grain quantites accordingly the next time you brew the recipe so that you get closer to the published OG....if that matters to you.

Alternatively, you can use a recipe that lists its assumed efficiency and compare it to your actual result. The difference between the publishe OG and your actual OG will help you determine your actual efficiency number.

Although you can work thos all out on paper and a calculator, brewing software makes it MUCH easier becasue you can easily see how minor changes in grain amounts effect the predicted OG...assuming that you know your efficiency.

Someone asked a similar question yesterday about an 80/20 ratio. I wrote this up to explain. But basically assume the largest amount is going to be a base malt like 2-row.

Start with the premise that 80/20 means 8 pounds 2row and 2 pounds flaked wheat in a 5 gallon batch of beer. In fact that 10 pounds gives you an og of 1.052. So it's already close.

changing the OG slider to 1.050 gives you 1# 14.7 oz flaked wheat and 7# 10.9 ounces 2row.

Now usuing the scale recipe feature and changing the batch size to 2 gallons you get 12.3 ounces wheat and 3# 1.2 ounces 2-row.

FYI one of the reasons I like to brew 2.5 gallon small batches instead of 2 or 3 gallons is that recipes can be easily cut in half, AND the final product nets you an entire case of beer.

But whenever they give you a percentage, start with a total grainbill of 10 pounds of grain, and break your percentages down into that, then start playing with the numbers and gravity tools to give you the correct amount of grain for the gravity. And start it with a 5 gallon batch and scale up or down from there.

Hope this give you a rough idea.

I've gotten to the point that I ignore units, and feed percentages into Beersmith. Solves that whole "stupid American can't figure out how to order my grain based on metric" problem.

Technically, I don't even know if that's possible. I guess at amounts initially, and tailor to % from there.

Latest posts

Back