percarbonate powder not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidoduck

Reaction score
Following HBT advice, I bought some sodium percarbonate powder for cleaning my gear. I recently finished my second batch, a very hoppy smelling SNPA clone. After cleaning the carboy several times with 4 or 5 tablespoons each pass, I corked it and set it on the shelf for a week. Today it smells like last week's brew again. I've read somewhere not to use dishwashing detergent because the residue will make your beer go flat. How am I going to get this clean? Use more oxy?
There are no measurement directions for dishwashing on this oxy cleaner. It is recommended for tile, carpet, laundry.

I have had excellent results using Oxyclean. I'm not familiar with what it is you are using, but percarbonate is a major ingredient of Oxyclean IIRC. Anyway, I simply put a few scoops of Oxyclean in the carboy and fill it will hot tap water after rinsing most of the gunk out first, of course. Normally, everything lifts off and rinses out. I never find the need to scrub it with a brush. I have also used automatic dishwasher detergent with good results. Dawn dishwashing liquid + 1 cup of bleach works well too. Whichever method you try, be sure to let it soak at least overnight and longer if need be. It doesn't do any harm to let the carboy soak for extended periods. Be careful not to mix Oxyclean with the automatic dishwasher detergent as it often contains chlorine. The result can be some nasty (and probably toxic) fumes. I don't seem to have the difficulty cleaning these things as many others do for some reason. I haven't yet figured out why that might be. Oh yeah, PBW is supposed to be a really good product. I don't use it because I think it is much too expensive and there are lots of less costly alternatives.

Thanks for the help.

Cat22, This stuff I'm using is just a dollar store brand of OxyClean - same active ingredient. I think it is good advice to let it soak, which I didn't. I just scrubbed the inside with a carboy brush, rinsed and repeated. As far as PBW, I will do some research on where to obtain it for future cleanups.

Be sure to use HOT water...as hot as it will come out of your tap. You should only need 1 tablespoon of sodium percarbonate per 5 gallons. Leave it overnight, dump it, spray it out and do a citric acid wash. At least, that's my usual method...I don't scrub my carboys at all anymore.

uh, it has a more reactive state in hot water and will tear the **** out of anything sticking to the walls. In cold water, it will work, but it may involve some scrubbing. It just kind of sits there.

With hot water, you can see the **** getting ripped off the walls in minutes. It's a waste to use several scoops, too. 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of hot water will take care of it, no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Cat22, This stuff I'm using is just a dollar store brand of OxyClean - same active ingredient. I think it is good advice to let it soak, which I didn't. I just scrubbed the inside with a carboy brush, rinsed and repeated. As far as PBW, I will do some research on where to obtain it for future cleanups.

I was never happy with dollar store "oxy" powder, and have gone back to regular oxyclean, or Bix box brands...but you don't need to use your carboy brush for anything...all you do is fill your fermenter with water an a couple scoops of oxy-powder...an leave it sit overnight that's the poins tof using oxy, you let the fizzy oxygenated bubbles do the work for you.

You just let it soak, and rinse thorough...Even the hardest gunk is broken free by the bubbling action.

I mix 1 tablespoon of SUN Oxy cleaner from the dollar store and 1 tablespoon of Red Devil TSP/90 from Ace hardware per 5 gallons of very hot water to clean my equipment. Conical is 15 gallons so it's 3 T of each. Rinse it good with hot water (hose connected to kitchen faucet), add the cleaner, let is soak for at least 24 hours and rinse with hot water afterwards. Then follow up with Star San. Works great!!!

Back