Another use for sanitizer/cleaners? Bear with me here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a new dad! :ban::ban::ban:

Our baby is six days old and we're mostly breastfeeding but there are still bottles (and a breast pump) involved, and the whole "boil for five minutes" thing they tell you in the manual is a real pain and will almost certainly result in me melting at least one bottle and ruining the pot I've been using to boil them eventually. I keep thinking, "why not give it a good warm rinse and scrub and then spray it down with sanitizer?" I'm currently using diluted peracetic acid since it's miles cheaper than Starsan in China and has a longer active life and doesn't stain like iodophor. We're talking high-clarity food grade silicone and BPA- and latex-free high temperature resistant plastic, probably food grade PP but I can't find specifics.

I could get starsan or iodophor as alternatives to peracetic, but the questions are: will any of these three sanitizers adequately sanitize the baby stuff without breaking down the plastic or silicone and be safe for use on baby feeding equipment (meaning if he eats a tiny bit of residue he'll be fine)? I'm pretty sure the answer to the first part is that the bottles/breast pump will hold up just fine since our brewing equipment doesn't mind, but I want to be sure on the baby-safety part before I go this route.

Similarly, I use pure sodium percarbonate instead of Oxiclean as a cleaner. It breaks down to sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide. Is this a safe (and much, much cheaper) alternative to "baby-safe" laundry detergent, or should we stick with the detergent?

I'm not sure the advice I get on HBT will get me the go-ahead from my wife, but if I get affirmative answers here I'll know it's worth digging deeper to get convincing evidence for her.

I can only say this: I have a 5-gallon bucket of Star-San that I keep for soaking brewing items in. I've found that the normal tubing, if it is left to sit in there for several weeks, begins to break down a bit. It becomes slimy. So now, even though I'll soak that tubing for minutes up to an hour or two, I don't let it stay in the Star-San any longer.

I also have stored other kinds of plastic in the solution and haven't seen any changes to it at all.

I think one must know the type of plastic before one can say whether the acidic solution of a Star-San would produce anything unhealthy.

And Congrats on the new baby!

Back