peracetic acid questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
While I'm having a hard time finding iodophor locally, I might have found a place that sells peracetic acid based cleaners intended for CIP uses in the dairy industry. So, starting to read up a bit. Anybody use peracetic acid for sanitizing? Any good info? Warnings or other information I should know as I start to look into this? I know larger breweries use it a lot but I've never used it myself so looking for more info.

I am not an expert on this subject! I did hear from the owner of our local homebrew store that peracetic acid can cause oxidation in beers. He claims a local brewery could not determine what was causing this until they switched to iodophor. I also read that it kills microorganisms by oxidation. I have no experience with this acid, but I would hate to see you ruin a good batch of beer.

I am not an expert on this subject! I did hear from the owner of our local homebrew store that peracetic acid can cause oxidation in beers. He claims a local brewery could not determine what was causing this until they switched to iodophor. I also read that it kills microorganisms by oxidation. I have no experience with this acid, but I would hate to see you ruin a good batch of beer.

I doubt their problem was with peracetic acid unless they used it incorrectly. It's widely used in the brewing industry.

Turns out the stuff I saw available here is in 25 kg quantity, though, so I won't likely be giving it a go!

I learned real quick about listening to the local brew shop and taking their word as god. They sold me some Sodium Metabisulphite for sanitizing equipment for beer making. Told them I wanted a no rinse solution. Luckily I got home and started researching only to find out that this stuff actually kills yeast and if I did use it and run it down the sink, it could have killed my septic system too. Went back with a printout from the computer and they said they did not know that. That's when I got the OxySan and then looked into that and found the above posted link. I posted it because I have not seen anyone else post it. Seems to be a lot of info on it from Australia so it must be popular there.

I learned real quick about listening to the local brew shop and taking their word as god. They sold me some Sodium Metabisulphite for sanitizing equipment for beer making. Told them I wanted a no rinse solution. Luckily I got home and started researching only to find out that this stuff actually kills yeast and if I did use it and run it down the sink, it could have killed my septic system too. Went back with a printout from the computer and they said they did not know that. That's when I got the OxySan and then looked into that and found the above posted link. I posted it because I have not seen anyone else post it. Seems to be a lot of info on it from Australia so it must be popular there.

But I'm not in Canada or Australia and there are no homebrew shops here at all. This can maybe help someone else though so thanks for posting it anyway!

Check out the forums on www.probrewer.com Search for PAA or peracetic acid and you'll get a ton of threads about how people are still very happy with it as a sanitizer.

Cheers!

sodium metabisulfate IS a sanitizing agent, and is the number 1 sanitizer for winemakers. not so much beer makers, but for winemakers its a must (/pun)
potassium metabisulfate is the other #1 sanitizer for winemaking and is what I mostly use.

Unless you didn't pour it out of the primary first, the residue will not harm yeast or fermentation.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I've been using some peracetic that was given to me by the brewery I used to work for. So far, so good.

Back