"People have died drinking homebrew..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer was the beverage of choice for many many many years simply due to the fact that the local water source was....you got it....dangerous.

"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
- Fight Club

Sex is the leading cause of death. Period! Weather you believe that life begins with conception or at birth, life wouldn't end if two people hadn't gotten together and had SEX! :D:eek:

Drinking a 5 gallon keg in a night might kill you... I could see overdrinking doing that, but so does water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another case of someone regurgitating something "they" say. "They" being any old person or source. "They" could be a complete ignoramus with a blog and nothing better to do. "They" could have been a 2 second sound byte he misheard or

I've always wanted to write down things "they" say, cause damn "they" say A LOT of stuff. Maybe even write a book about it. I bet you'd sell a bunch of copies because "they" would buy it...

Well this could go either way for me then. Tell that guy I've been drinking a **** ton of homebrew since August 2013 and much to my dismay somedays, I'm still here.

This guy sounds like a toolbag.

The smart alecky remarks are reassuring as well as entertaining. Thanks!

And thanks for this link IvanBrew. Now I can reassure my wife, who happened to be within ear shots of the "scintillating" conversation I was having, that her yuppy friend is full of sh*t.

University of California, Davis Professor Charles Bamforth is quoted by Scientific American as stating that "pathogens will not grow in beer".

When you homebrew beer, you buy lots of homebrew equipment.
When you buy lots of homebrew equipment, you neglect to pay your other bills.
When you neglect to pay your other bills, your electricity goes out.
When your electricity goes out, you don't see the weather report about the tornado.
When you don't see the weather report about the tornado, you get tossed into the air for five miles.

Don't get tossed into the air for five miles. Don't homebrew beer.

The smart alecky remarks are reassuring as well as entertaining. Thanks!

And thanks for this link IvanBrew. Now I can reassure my wife, who happened to be within ear shots of the "scintillating" conversation I was having, that her yuppy friend is full of sh*t.

grab that "yuppy friend" by the ears, bring your forehead down on the bridge of his nose, punch him in both kidneys, then drop to one knee & come up right away & uppercut him right in the chode. right close to the brown eye. then be all like, "I enjoy a nice home brewed Wee Heavy." in a calm tone. :rockin:

When you homebrew beer, you buy lots of homebrew equipment.
When you buy lots of homebrew equipment, you neglect to pay your other bills.
When you neglect to pay your other bills, your electricity goes out.
When your electricity goes out, you don't see the weather report about the tornado.
When you don't see the weather report about the tornado, you get tossed into the air for five miles.

Don't get tossed into the air for five miles. Don't homebrew beer.

Now that's funny. Good stuff :mug: :mug:. Don't be a Dish head.

Repeat after me (again)... NOTHING. PATHOLOGIC. CAN. GROW. IN. BEER.

The owner of my LHBS has the following as his e-mail signature:

In wine, there is wisdom...
In beer, there is strength...
In water, there is bacteria...
You Decide!

I have seen it like this:

In Wine there is Wisdom,
In Cider there is Health,
In Beer there is Freedom,
In Mead there is Strength,
In Whiskey there is Appreciation,
In Water there is Bacteria,
You Decide…?

It seems almost like this could be a new thread:

In (beverage) there is (trait/virtue)

If it was possible to die from infected beer, someone would have died from infected commercial beer too. Infection (unintentional) in commercial beer can and does happen. It is probably more common in homebrew, but if there is a "risk" then the risk is there for any craft beer (I say craft because I don't know if bacteria would even want to drink BMC)

I was just thinking that maybe they're confusing beer brewing with distilling moonshine. They both start as a fermented mash. But in distilling,the first & last runnings are methol alcohol,which is poisonous. Not enough of it in home brew to matter,but it seems they don't realize this.

Yeah i suppose if he is going to stop drinking homebrew for fear of death then there are a few other things he might wanna hold out on. Bacon is cholesterol hell.

Make bacon beer then so the cholesterol and the botulinum can battle it out... ;)

People have been drinking homebrewed beer for millennia precisely because it was known to be safe to drink, when other beverages weren't. Basically it was a way to make unsafe water safe to drink. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why beer exists in the first place.

This guy must have been doing it wrong. My homebrew gives me superpowers.

i_brew_beer_whats_your_superpower_shirt-ra39ec944ddc944c7bc4f160e2c6e99f5_804gs_512.jpg

foursh daysh into mysh researcsh and still alive

wishing I wash deeeadddd tis mornig when I wokerish upm burpppppp

but then dat dishhed not det er dt trim dedri, ahhhhh, beleechelch, ah

deter me fromsh my resolve to do moreish researsh to da, todayunp

Darn tapis dry, time to changer keg, WHO HOOO, a Bock, diser ish gonna be a good day to die

I read this thread and responded last week. Just this weekend I was extremely thirsty (California heat) and grabbed a Gatoraid out of my Son's baseball bag and chugged it. I felt hard objects on my tongue and looked at the bottle. It had tons of bacteria floating in the juice. Yes, I drank half the bottle, including chunks of bacteria, before realizing what had happened. I thought to myself, well, I'll have something to write about in this thread about people dying from infections in homebrew. I didn't get the slightest amount sick. By the way, I didn't expect to either. I always come back to this thread knowing there's going to be some comedy.

Cheers,

Just this weekend I was extremely thirsty (California heat) and grabbed a Gatoraid out of my Son's baseball bag and chugged it. I felt hard objects on my tongue and looked at the bottle. It had tons of bacteria floating in the juice. Yes, I drank half the bottle, including chunks of bacteria, before realizing what had happened.

Am I the only one who read this story, and the first thing I thought was, "I wonder if you could ferment Gatorade?"

Dang, I need to take a break from brewing. This might belong in the "You know you're a homebrewer when..." thread.

Am I the only one who read this story, and the first thing I thought was, "I wonder if you could ferment Gatorade?"

Dang, I need to take a break from brewing. This might belong in the "You know you're a homebrewer when..." thread.

No, you're not the only one. I wonder what Gatorade is sweetened with? It probably has preservatives so it may be difficult to ferment, maybe with a good yeast cake from fermenting wine you could make it happen if it has fermentable sugars, plus added yeast nutrient.

Repeat after me (again)... NOTHING. PATHOLOGIC. CAN. GROW. IN. BEER.

Here's some fun facts I was actually able to look up:

At about 2.6% alcohol, no know human pathogens (think H1N1, HIV/AIDS, black plague, polio, smallpox, cholera, ebola, e-coli, malaria, bubanic plague, the flu, etc.) survive EXCEPT one......ringworm. Ringworm has a tolerance to alcohol well up into double digits, and most ringworm medications contain up to 15% alcohol to kill it off! One of the listed ringworm medication side effects is "shakes from alcohol withdrawal." LOL!

All of the other "bacteria" that do flourish in beer and "infect" your beer are generally the same ones that occur naturally in the outer skins of fruits and vegetables (lactobacillus, most notably), and are marketed as "probiotics" down at GNC. Some of them are just variant strains of yeast (Brettanomyces). They are also the same ones used to make yogurt, cheese, sauerkraut, etc.. They taste delicious in proper proportions inn many foods, and are good for immune health and digestion!

Wild yeast and bacteria even saved humanity by offering a way to clean virus ridden water throughout history. Read the history of the Saison style, if you were unware.

So the bacteria in homebrew is FAR from something that will kill you. It's necessary to LIVE!

I wonder what Gatorade is sweetened with?

I know!! Sugar.....sucrose/dextrose.....100% fermentable. However, if you do ferment it, you certainly aren't going to be left with much more than grain alcohol and water. Don't waste your time...

If you taste your beer and it tastes infected, spill it. (Common sense)

NOT common sense. When I taste my beer and it tastes infected, I age it and make a delicious sour! Again, the bacteria and yeast strains that infect a beer are quite tasty in the correct proportions and are all probiotics that are quite good for you.

Don't automatically dump it, learn to make sours!

Back