Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a reference to Czechs making clean beer in history?

All beer throughout history would be prone to infection in some regard. However, the plisners of old Czech times were consumed at a rate that would not allow infections to be come very evident, as fermented drink was made safe from processing compared to surface or even ground water.

It also probably tasted of much cleaner fermentation when measured against beer that would have shown signs of unintended infection.

But I'm just some jackass on the interwebz, not a beer historian.

I've been to the Pilsner urquell brewery and they still do small batches in open wooden vats and secondary in huge wooden barrels in their lager caves. The beer was amazing

I've been to the Pilsner urquell brewery and they still do small batches in open wooden vats and secondary in huge wooden barrels in their lager caves. The beer was amazing

That is awesome, do you have photos of the lager cave?

I would love to see what they look like. (Although, I suppose I could Google it.)

The newly grown pellicle on a 6-7 month old sour brown with dregs from a few belgian sours and Jester King

4JNuvWQh.jpg

This is 2 weeks later

Ss79kMxh.jpg

Usually Pedio is what causes the beer to get sick/ropey. I am not sure what a texture of a non-metallic nosebleed is, so can't help you there.

As far as Cantillon goes, obviously there is some batch to batch variation, however they are consistently good. Pretty hard to make things exactly the same when the yeast/bacteria in the air, temperature, fruit/flowers/hops, etc are inconsistent every year. They are far more consistent than some others such as Fantome or De Cam.

Cantillon has the huge advantage of sheer volume to blend from.

It's not like they're doing single batches that consistently come out the same, they're blending 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year old beers together to create the final product. That's how they are consistently getting something that tastes good, I'd wager there's more then a few barrels in Cantillon's cellar that if tasted alone would not be so appealing. :)

Cantillon has the huge advantage of sheer volume to blend from.

It's not like they're doing single batches that consistently come out the same, they're blending 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year old beers together to create the final product. That's how they are consistently getting something that tastes good, I'd wager there's more then a few barrels in Cantillon's cellar that if tasted alone would not be so appealing. :)

I have been to the Cantillon brewery multiple times, so was able to do the tour and have a few really interesting conversations with Jean Van Roy. I am familiar with how they do things. I was actually there the day after the last public brew day, which was bad timing on my part. I wish I would of realized that prior to booking flights, that would of been a cool experience. Anyway, I was just pointing out that they may have more variation than some breweries such as Rodenbach and New Belgium due to some reasons that are outside their control. They all do a lot of blending, but Rodenach/NB do things such as pasteurization to control the final product and the effects of aging it, where as Cantillon does not. Obviously, once bottled, the storage conditions will have an impact on final flavor.

Personally, I liked NB La Folie better before they started pasteurizing it, but have not tried multiple vintages of non-pasteurized side by side to see how much it actually did vary. The pasteurized ones are fairly consistent year to year.

Is that the one from Cascade that you sent me?

No, the cascade isolate is relatively fast. I used it in a BW and at 2.5 months, it is quite tart and very clean. The other two i used at the same time (2nd gen Brevis and grown-up bottle dregs from Hottenroth) still have some sulfur. In that one, the starter (what I sent you) had a decent pellicle but the BW didn't.

Brett blend from The Yeast Bay. The surface was completely clear when I woke up yesterday, so I got to watch this develop throughout the day.

20150613_143247.jpg

not often that you hear of someone wanting more vinegar...
Yep, I should have been more descriptive. The mixed starter overflowed and got an acetobacter infection (slimy, wort was almost entirely vinegar). I had some porter lying around that didn't come out quite right, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to give vinegar a go...in a completely different room from any of my equipment or fermenters, of course.

The pellicle was unintended, but probably inevitable, given the mix of organisms.

My 6 month old Flanders red or something close to it. It's also my first attempt at souring. I now have a few other funky beers in the works, but this one has a special place in my heart...I can't wait for it to have a special place in my tummy.

View attachment 1434760156777.jpg

eU5gIYq.jpg

Not the best photo, but you can kinda see whats going on.

Left: Extract lambic, brewed in Dec 2014. Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend and numerous bottle dregs in there. It has a pretty pellicle going, but its hard to get photos of it. It went to town during primary, so the majority of top of the carboy is caked in krausen still. Nice sharp sourness already.

Middle: Flanders Red brewed in March 2015 I believe. Just some bubbles forming, but not much of a full Pellicle. I've only opened it once for a quick sample. Seems to be souring already, though just slightly. Plenty of time left for this one.

Right: Botched Beliner Weisse turned golden sour? I ended up fermenting a basic Berliner with US-05 in March, then pitched Wyeast 5335 Lacto after I racked to secondary about a week later. I later realized I messed up the order of pitching, and couldn't expect much souring. I tossed in some maltodextrin, and pitched Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend. As you can see, it appears to be working haha.

Sour saison after almost 2 months in primary. Belgian saison yeast, Brett C, dregs from Mikkeller spontansweetcherry, as well as a sour red from Marz Community Brewing. Racked to secondary after I took this pic. Smells and tastes funky and already a tad sour. My first attempt at souring. Giving it another year or so in secondary.

IMG_20150628_014712109.jpg

I brewed it June 7 and have been keeping it at 70 degrees. I get a heavy smell of strawberries, I haven't tasted it yet though.

The pink is from oxidation. Really light beers that oxidize often turn pink or even darker red/purple. I get that sometimes just from leaving a light beer in a glass in the fridge for a day or two. I think I read someone saying it might be an oxidative yeast changing the color.

Wow. Weird. I've read to never, ever throw out a sour beer, bc age can sometimes make it better. Is vinegar beer an exception?

Back