Pelletized vs. Whole Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer this weekend an IPA :rockin: But I used a recipe kit I got from the local home brew shop. It call for 1oz of flavoring hop to be boiled for 30minutes IIRC, but instead I had a gallon bag of whole Cascade hops from a co-worker, that I dumper instead. So my question is, is there a formula or a rule of thumb which you can figure out how many oz's of whole hops equals how many oz's of pelletized hops, or anything like that?

Post the recipe. 6 oz. is an extremely big flavor addition. Edit: Dude, you made me sound crazy! it used to say 6 oz for the record. You edit. I edit. :D

For flavor the weights will be the same in pellet hops and whole hops (Though I'd argue whole hops are better since pellatizing is a fairly hot process and may drive off some oils, but that is my opinion)

For bitterness you'll get about 10% more bitterness from the same amount of pellet hops than whole hops.

Now if the whole hops are not dried, you have to factor in that they are mostly water, so you need to use A LOT more, something like 6 times more but I'd need to look that up to be sure.

Now if the whole hops are not dried, you have to factor in that they are mostly water, so you need to use A LOT more, something like 6 times more but I'd need to look that up to be sure.

6 times is a fairly good estimate. I think when I dried my hops last year, I ended up with about 4-5Xs, but I'm finding a bit of ice in the bags, which means they still weren't completely dry.

I would guess a gallon bag might equal 2ish oz dry? I have no clue, though, really. I've bought 2 oz bone dry bags that are about a quart ziploc size. Nasty, BTW, I don't advise it.
I think as long as the boil was only a half hour you should be ok, and if you love hops, you'll be great! Please let me know how it turns out, and the recipe would still be nice, as I'm growing hops for the first time, and a sweet fresh hopped ale would rock!:rockin:

So let me get this straight, if the recipe calls for 2 oz of dried or pellet hops then you would have to use 12 oz of whole fresh hops? Thanks

Yes, if the hops are "wet" hops and not dried. If you grow your own, you generally dry them thoroughly before freezing. If they are from a brew store, they are dried and you can use the normal amount.

When you dry hops, they decrease in weight tremendously. I had two full 5 gallon buckets I picked and they ended up being 16 ounces dried.

Back