pellet or whole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny1982

Reaction score
Is there reccomondations on pellet or whole hops? And do you use the same meaurements of either? And what do you use to keep them contained in the brew kettle? Just getting into all grain brewing. Just made my first batch this past weekend. Everything went pretty smoothly. Just a couple small hiccups in my first A.G. attempt. That I will work out next time.

Thanks,
Ben

Pellets lend a tiny bit more IBUs than an equal weight of leaf hops, so less are needed for bittering. But both versions have their many advantages and disadvantages. For instance, one of the good things leaf hops have going for them is freshness. You are able to inspect the hops for quality better than a pulverized pellet hop. I typically bag my pellet or leaf hops in the boil with those 5 gal nylon mesh paint strainer bags from Home Depot. For the dryhop, I just toss in loose pellets and let them sink. Leaf hops in the dryhop float, can be quite messy, and take up a ton of room.

My problem with pellet hops is the 'hop sludge' they make in the kettle. My problem with leaf hops is the volume they take up in the kettle, and they clog my dip tube. Both of these problems are easy to solve.

My solution is to use pellet hops and replace my dip tube with a screen. It's easier to rinse out the sludge then scoop out the spent hops.

Many craft breweries use pellet hops. Some of the more progressive also can their beer.

Pellets are superior to whole hops. Metal is superior to glass. Tradition is great, but scientific improvement is better. :)

Metal is superior to glass? I never never buy cans of beer, only bottles. I think I can tell the difference, so I ...wait for it.....CAN

Well, scientifically it is. An aluminum can is far superior to glass in protection from light and air. You may personally like the taste of beer out of a glass bottle, but you can't argue with the facts. I think that peoples' opinions of other, more popular, canned beers have affected the way they go into tasting a craft beer from a can. If you do your best to taste the beer without that preconception, I think the canned beer tastes much fresher. Sierra Nevada Torpedo in the can is one of my new favorite beers.

My problem with pellet hops is the 'hop sludge' they make in the kettle. My problem with leaf hops is the volume they take up in the kettle, and they clog my dip tube. Both of these problems are easy to solve.

My solution is to use pellet hops and replace my dip tube with a screen. It's easier to rinse out the sludge then scoop out the spent hops.

A muslin bag has worked just fine for me as well with leaf, plugs, and pellets...

I love using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Stretch around bucket and dump in, it filters out most of the trub and hop particles. Although, I have never really noticed a negative impact on my beers from dumping, but I also have never done a side by side. If you brew a hoppy beer it does however prevent you from washing the yeast and using in a lighter hopped beer.

In my opinion, leaf hops suck. I try to remember to add the phrase ' in my opinion' or else somebody thinks I'm trying to start a debate. I'm not. Leaf hops suck. In my opinion.

What is your reasoning? Could it possibly be because you don't have a good variety of fresh leaf available?

Brewing software should help you adjust the hops amounts required for your target ibu when you input pellet or leaf. I believe as a general rule of thumb leaf needs 20% more to equal pellets of the same %AA, but that very well could be a horrible generalization. I've only used leaf once, just like the convenience of pellets better.

They both work fine for bittering, dry hopping is another matter IMO. Pellets have a slight "vegetal" taste to them. I have had much better experience dry-hopping with leaf hops in terms of results. Yes they are a pain to work with in terms of clean up and they do absorb a volume of beer, and they take up more room in storage. But I'm still going to use them for dry-hopping.

In my opinion, leaf hops suck. I try to remember to add the phrase ' in my opinion' or else somebody thinks I'm trying to start a debate. I'm not. Leaf hops suck. In my opinion.

What is your reasoning? Could it possibly be because you don't have a good variety of fresh leaf available?

And yet, a debate was started anyway. "Reason" and "opinion" don't walk down the street holding hands. They like to throw **** at each other from across the intersection.

Back to the point - I like using leaf in my lighter-hopped beers, since they help to filter trub while whirlpooling post-boil. I've never made an IPA though, so I don't know what I would do with about a pound of hoppy mung in the bottom of my BK post boil.

Latest posts

Back