Pellet Hop matter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forgetaboudit

Reaction score
When using pellet hops, is it bad that the hop matter ends up in the fermenter after the boil?
Im just trying to tack down the reason for odd taste in all my brews.

Can you describe the odd taste that you've had?

Its kind of hard. Yeasty? Doesnt matter how long I leave the bottles to condition. Ive done starters for some, skipped it for others.
The only constant has been Ice Mountain water, and pellet hops with everything from kettle going into fermenter.

What kind of yeast you used? What is your fermentation temperature? Are you able to control your fermentation temperature?

There was an experiment done with dumping everything into the fermenter, and the product tasted the same like the trub separated one.

All different kinds of Wyeast liquid yeasts. I have a BrewPi controlled fermentation chamber. Temps stay +- .1° of the temp I set.

Liquid or dry extract. Is it kits or are you buying ingredients seperately? When i do an extract batch, I prefer dry, as I feel it produces a superior beer and I do not get the "extract twang" from it. I will also hold about 50% of the extract back until the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

Are you using the same hop variety, same supplier? How are you storing them?

All have been kits.
Ive used liquid yeast.
Switching to BIAB I'm hoping my issue goes away...
As far as hops, its been all over the board with suppliers and varieties. I normally would just brew it right away once I got the kit home.

When using pellet hops, is it bad that the hop matter ends up in the fermenter after the boil?

Seems like people are trying to figure out the source of your problem rather than answer your question.

No it is not a problem to pour the trub (including all the hops) into the fermenter. A lot of people do it. If it was an issue, I think it would have been identified by now as a 'No-No'.

Seems like people are trying to figure out the source of your problem rather than answer your question.

No it is not a problem to pour the trub (including all the hops) into the fermenter. A lot of people do it. If it was an issue, I think it would have been identified by now as a 'No-No'.
Perfect. Thank-you. But finding the source of my problem would be beneficial for sure!

Sometimes, yeast flavor is desired (kolsch, hefeweizen). Sometimes, a "young" beer still has the "yeast bite" just because it needs to sit a bit (weeks?). So your process and patience might be something to consider.

I do BIAB. 5g batches. Not IPAs, but typically 2-5oz pellet hops per batch. And I faithfully and consistently dump *EVERYTHING* into the ferm vessel. See prior posts elsewhere about reading glasses, as I do mean everything sometimes. Anyway, reading glasses aside, it all drops out into a big ole pile o sludge in the bottom.

But time may be the biggest issue with your yeast flavor, not knowing much else.

It's the extract. I made some killer extract beer (to me, not tooting my own horn), but it always tasted a little different. Switched to brew in a bag, and it's such a cleaner, crisper, fresher tasting product.

Last edited:
Sometimes, yeast flavor is desired (kolsch, hefeweizen). Sometimes, a "young" beer still has the "yeast bite" just because it needs to sit a bit (weeks?). So your process and patience might be something to consider.

I do BIAB. 5g batches. Not IPAs, but typically 2-5oz pellet hops per batch. And I faithfully and consistently dump *EVERYTHING* into the ferm vessel. See prior posts elsewhere about reading glasses, as I do mean everything sometimes. Anyway, reading glasses aside, it all drops out into a big ole pile o sludge in the bottom.

But time may be the biggest issue with your yeast flavor, not knowing much else.
Ive let some brews sit for a month before cracking open and still that flavor is there. Even months later...

It's the extract "TWANG" I bet your chasing if nothing else is consistent your changing yeast strains so you should not be getting the same off flavor your using different hops and ingredients each batch so again you should not be getting the same off flavor now with said if your switch to BIAB and the same off flavor exist it's your sanitation or your oxidizing your beer

It's the extract "TWANG" I bet your chasing if nothing else is consistent your changing yeast strains so you should not be getting the same off flavor your using different hops and ingredients each batch so again you should not be getting the same off flavor now with said if your switch to BIAB and the same off flavor exist it's your sanitation or your oxidizing your beer
Sounds about right.
Oxidation has been a thought of mine..
I try to be careful when transferring to bottling bucket, and stirring in the priming sugar scares me. I want to mix it in well, but I feel I'm introducing oxygen

Oh, there's plenty O2 uptake just having that bucket surface area sitting in air whilst bottling.

When bottling, I stir in the sugar. Many claim the gentle swirling of the racking beer is plenty to mix the sugar. That kinda presumes I'm not so daft that I completely forget the priming sugar until after I've racked to the bottling bucket.

Oh, there's plenty O2 uptake just having that bucket surface area sitting in air whilst bottling.

When bottling, I stir in the sugar. Many claim the gentle swirling of the racking beer is plenty to mix the sugar. That kinda presumes I'm not so daft that I completely forget the priming sugar until after I've racked to the bottling bucket.
I dont add the sugar until its in the bucket...
I dont really know how much I'll have until it's in the bucket (due to trub) and i need to know to calculate how much sugar to use.

I wouldn't fret too much. Being in the neighborhood of 5 gallons is near enough. Even the non-calibrated markings on the ferment buckets are good enough to see, for instance, "Oh, that's about 5G then about 1/2G trub, so I'll calc for 4.5g". 5G at 68° for 2.2vol CO2 = 3.9oz corn sugar. If you put that into 4.5G same temp, it gives 2.3vol CO2. Not a big deal.

I suppose. Thanks!
Now... Another quick question...
When using the temp do i use the current temperature at bottling?

Oxidation has been a thought of mine..
I try to be careful when transferring to bottling bucket, and stirring in the priming sugar scares me.

I ass the priming sugar first, and then I stir before starting to bottle. Never had an issue.

Oxidation tends to make the beer taste stale or like cardboard, and gets worse over time ... it takes while. If you are drinking freshly bottled beer, and have the issue, then it isn't oxidation. If is a month or two after bottling, then maybe.

I dont add the sugar until its in the bucket...
I don't really know how much I'll have until it's in the bucket (due to trub) and i need to know to calculate how much sugar to use.

Maybe it is because I have done a lot of batches, and filter out all hop matter into the fermenter, but I just use the same amount of sugar for every beer. I have not gotten into the finesse of different carbonation rates for different beers. 5 ozs of plain table sugar for 6+ gallons of beer does the job for me.

When using the temp do i use the current temperature at bottling?

You use the highest temperature the beer got to after active fermentation finished. The calculator uses the temperature to calculate the entrained CO2. If it gets to 80F, it will retain less CO2 than at 50 F, but if you cool from 80 F down to 50 F, it will not capture 'extra' CO2 if it is finished fermenting.

^ This, re: temp to use. One way to think about it is ... well, it's chemistry. Physics, maybe. Yeast produces CO2 during ferment, which some bubbles out but some dissolves in the beer on the way. How much depends on pressure and temp, for a given beer. So if you ferment at 68°F that determines what will dissolve into solution. If you bring it up from the bowels of your fermentation dungeon to bottle in the parlor, and it spends a few hours there while you're composing a sonnet, some CO2 will come out of solution. But generally speaking, you use the ferm temp. Those who cold crash would not use the cold temp for priming calc, as that was not the temp during which active CO2 was produced to go into solution. Make sense?

^ This, re: temp to use. One way to think about it is ... well, it's chemistry. Physics, maybe. Yeast produces CO2 during ferment, which some bubbles out but some dissolves in the beer on the way. How much depends on pressure and temp, for a given beer. So if you ferment at 68°F that determines what will dissolve into solution. If you bring it up from the bowels of your fermentation dungeon to bottle in the parlor, and it spends a few hours there while you're composing a sonnet, some CO2 will come out of solution. But generally speaking, you use the ferm temp. Those who cold crash would not use the cold temp for priming calc, as that was not the temp during which active CO2 was produced to go into solution. Make sense?
Perfect! I tend to not compose sonnets while Brewing. I save those times for when im relaxing and enjoying a brew. Or in the shower. (Which im also enjoying a brew...)

Back