Pellet Hop Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike86

Reaction score
Just started using pellet hops (got cheaper in bulk online) but am struggling to keep the majority out of the fermenter. I have one of those screens on the inside of my kettle ball valve, but that doesn't stop much hop sludge from the pellets from getting through.

What is your method for keeping the sludge out? I have tried the little tea bag things that you iron shut, but they are a pain and mostly explode in kettle anyways. Any good experiences with these?

Should I let it settle after I cool the wort down so it will be below the valve? How long are we talking? Usually I am pretty tired and want to get it in the fermenter asap to reduce risk of foreign materials/infection getting in.

Thanks guys, brew on!

1 - Don't hassle it, a little hop material in the trub is not a big deal and will settle out in the fermenter in time.
2 - Try and hop spider (similar to what tracyk recommended)
3 - Whirlpool during chilling to create a cone of trub and hop material in the center of your kettle and then use a dip tube to collect from the side of the kettle.

Oh cool! I was under the impression that the bags were not fine enough to work with pellets.I will give it a shot.

I try to whirlpool with a spoon but kinda tricky with my immersion chiller in the middle. Good to hear that some hop sludge is ok. I figured it was okay for happy styles but I just brewed an Octoberest and was worried that the hops would impart too much flavor during the 2 week ferment.

Don't bother. The hops in the fermenter don't hurt the beer and when the ferment slows they will sink to the bottom and get covered with the yeast as it settles out. Be patient and the trub will compact and you can leave it in the fermenter when it is time to keg/bottle.

It may be in my head, but I think my hoppy beers are better with naked hops. I dump them all to the fermentor. For non-hoppy beers, I use paint strainer bags.

Back