Peekskill Malt Balls Brown Ale - Bittering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
This months BYO (Jan-Feb 20-16, page 17) features a clone of Peekskill Brewery's Malt Balls Brown Ale.

The recipe lists the IBU as 51. But when I put the recipe in software, I'm getting IBUs above 90!

OG is 1.064
Bittering per the recipe is 2 ounces of 11.2% Alpha acid hops @ 60 mins.
Flavor per recipe is 1 ounce same hop at 5 mins and then 1 ounce at flameout.

I did find out that if you reduce the 2 ounces of bittering to 1 ounce of bittering, you get the right number of IBUs. Would someone else mind checking this? I like the idea of the beer described in the text, but I think the bittering hops additions in the recipe are off.

Any advice?

1 oz. sounds a lot more reasonable.

FWIW I just brewed a malted milk ball stout with OG 1.054 and shot for around 30 IBU. I probably could have gone a little higher (maybe 40?) to balance the sweetness.

This months BYO (Jan-Feb 20-16, page 17) features a clone of Peekskill Brewery's Malt Balls Brown Ale.

The recipe lists the IBU as 51. But when I put the recipe in software, I'm getting IBUs above 90!

OG is 1.064
Bittering per the recipe is 2 ounces of 11.2% Alpha acid hops @ 60 mins.
Flavor per recipe is 1 ounce same hop at 5 mins and then 1 ounce at flameout.

I did find out that if you reduce the 2 ounces of bittering to 1 ounce of bittering, you get the right number of IBUs. Would someone else mind checking this? I like the idea of the beer described in the text, but I think the bittering hops additions in the recipe are off.

Any advice?

Hi, just doing that recipe, my hop bill for 10 gallon batch is 8 oz
so I would say correct...lol will let you know if its a brown IPA :)
:mug:

So it turns out I misread the recipe. I had assumed the 2 ounce bittering charge was a 60 minute addition. I misread the text - the 2 ounce bittering addition is listed as a 15 minute addiiton. My mistake. Everyone can now carry on. Thanks! N_G

I was just looking at this recipe too and came across this thread. Does anyone know why the bittering hops are added at 15 minutes and not 60 as would be typical?

It says in the article that they use a lot of late hopping in a cruise ship to get the bitterness and flavor so that's why they don't start hopping until 15 minutes from the end of the boil. It had me perplexed at first too.

I brewed the recipe in Jan. Kegged since late Jan. to age. As of April the beer is nice and I enjoy it! Thanks for a good one BYO!

Back