Pectin during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadeNasty

Reaction score
Can I add pectin enzyme during fermentation to clear my pineapple cider? Also will I still be able to get natural carbonation when I backsweeten after using pectin enzyme or will all my yeast sink to the bottom also?

Pectic enzyme works better before there is alcohol present but add it anyway. It help clearing. Pectic enzymes won’t affect natural carbonation but natural carbonation and back sweetening don’t really go together. Makes bottles explode.

I made a gallon of strawberry wine using strawberry preserves and frozen berries about 8 months ago and it was still hazy and showing no signs of clearing; I assume from the pectin. (I have used jelly in wines and meads before without any problem, but maybe not this much jelly) I pulled a couple of ounces out with a turkey baster, heated it up in the microwave until it was hot but not boiling, and mixed in 1/2 tsp of Sparkoloid. Then I poured it back into the jug. The next day it was clear. I didn't know if it would work or not, but I was shocked that it worked that fast. That was a few days ago, and I will bottle it tomorrow or Saturday.

Pectic enzyme works better before there is alcohol present but add it anyway. It help clearing. Pectic enzymes won’t affect natural carbonation but natural carbonation and back sweetening don’t really go together. Makes bottles explode.
I pasteurize them once they are bubbly enough to my liking, but will pasteurizing with pectin enzyme affect the cider at all?

I pasteurize them once they are bubbly enough to my liking, but will pasteurizing with pectin enzyme affect the cider at all?
It shouldn’t matter if pectic enzymes are present. But pasteurization with pectin will likely not be good. Probably go cloudy.

It shouldn’t matter if pectic enzymes are present. But pasteurization with pectin will likely not be good. Probably go cloudy.
How would you suggest I clear it if I'm pasteurizing and backsweetening with more juice?

Latest posts

Back