Peanut Butter Powder and Hefe Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
I'm planning to try a peanut butter dunkelweizen as a nod to Elvis' favorite sandwiches. I've never used the powdered peanut butter before though but I know that's what most people recommend so as to avoid the oils. For those of you with experience with this stuff, how much should I add to a 5 gallon batch? 8 oz? 1lb? Do I add it at flameout?

I'm also planning to get the banana flavor just from the hefeweizen yeast, not from any actual bananas, so I really want to emphasis that flavor and minimize the clove. I figure higher fermentation temps are the way to achieve that from what I've read, but I'd appreciate feedback on what temp exactly I should shoot for using Wyeast 3068, Weihenstephan yeast. I have a controlled fermentation chamber so maintaining temps aren't a problem.

Thanks!

Nice plan!
I did one I called Fat Elvis

A Peanut Butter Chocolate Porter with Hefe yeast. I dont remember the exact amount of powdered peanut butter (PB2) I used, nor the amount of cocoa nibs, but I'd up both of them next time I brew it. I added PB2 and nibs to the boil at 5 mins, and then secondaried on PB@ and nibs as well. I fermented at 70 (I think WL530?). I'd ferment warmer too. Wasnt quite enough banana either. It was a very tasty beer. You could pick out all 3 parts, peanut butter, banana and chocolate. I think just more intensity is what was needed to push it over the top.

Based on what I remember

I did 2oz nibs in boil, 2oz secondary
1/3 jar of PB2 in boil, 1/3 in secondary. I dont remember volume or weight, but I had about 1/3 jar left over. Its a 16oz jar, so that has to be volume, no way its 1#. So 4oz by volume of each fits my memory well.

Been a few weeks, any update? I'm considering doing something similar, though I wanted to do a saison with peanut butter powder and find a yeast strain with banana characteristics, then introduce thyme jam or jelly. Curious to know how the banana overtones played with the peanut butter.

Back