Peanut butter porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
Ok anyone ever hear of hill crest brewing company in San Diego supposedly they have a chocolate peanut butter porter. I am trying to figure out how this could be brewed any ideas

I've heard of this being done before…typically cacao nibs and powdered peanut butter. Both in the secondary.

Duclaw brewing in Virginia has one. It's amazing. It's like drinking a cake. I'm also wondering how they get the peanut butter flavor too

Beer Engineers (AL brewery) makes one that is frickin amazing. It's my kryptonite. Unfortunately, the PB powder is cost ineffective for me, so I'll let the pros provide the beer. I've heard good things about Midwest's Chocolate Covered Beaver Nuts but I've never made it.

yep..pb2...and lots of it. i use 2 lbs per 5 gal. in my chocolate pb stout.

I brewed up a Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout two weekends back. Used Marris Otter as the base and also had a 8% Victory as those two give off a nice nutty flavor to me. I used 130z of PB2 at the end of the boil. Tasted the hydrometer sample last weekend and it had a nice peanut butter taste to me. Its still early in the process so hard to say how it will end up but I don't think I will add any more PB2 in the secondary.

Another thing I have heard from PB2 users is that the peanut butter flavor picks up a bit over the first couple of months after carbonation so keep that in mind too.

I brewed up a Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout two weekends back. Used Marris Otter as the base and also had a 8% Victory as those two give off a nice nutty flavor to me. I used 130z of PB2 at the end of the boil. Tasted the hydrometer sample last weekend and it had a nice peanut butter taste to me. Its still early in the process so hard to say how it will end up but I don't think I will add any more PB2 in the secondary.

Another thing I have heard from PB2 users is that the peanut butter flavor picks up a bit over the first couple of months after carbonation so keep that in mind too.

Daniel, How did your brew turn out? Is there any left?

I made the one from midwest and it turned out pretty good. I couldn't put both jars of PB2 in my secondary..I only made it about 1 and 2/3 or so. Still turned out amazing. I have been getting good reviews from the people I have let try it. I need to do that one again. Only issue is you lose a bit of volume with the PB2.

Duclaw brewing in Virginia has one. It's amazing. It's like drinking a cake. I'm also wondering how they get the peanut butter flavor too

They're out of Maryland but I love their Sweet Baby Jesus! Most health/natrual food stores carry powdered PB and the powdered PB with chocolate. It's the same stuff Midwest recommend s for their PB beer.

I had some of the Karl Strauss (?) Peanut Butter stout/porter (I forget which) last fall. It was good. I hear that they use de-fatted peanut flour. No idea where to get this stuff though.

Would love to know.

TD

Sheldon, I have not but I have always wanted to. I did a little research in to it when I first started brewing extract. I'm up to full scale BIAB now and just haven't gotten around to it.

Back