Peanut butter addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestleb

Reaction score
When is the best time to add PB powder to a stout? End of boil or seconadary or both? Getting ready to brew a choc pb stout and based on some reviews I read about The PB flavor not really coming through when added to secondary I was thinking about adding some at the end of the boil and to the secondary. Any advice on this is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Quick search leads to

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-180215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-180215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 59
I would throw it in secondary, but this time around maybe a little more. Only because the flavor was too muted last time.

You'll get PB flavor out of adding it at flameout, but the aroma disappears. So i typically add X amount at flameout, and then 2x during the last couple gravity points of fermentation and let it sit for 3-5 days so it fully dissolves and integrates. Then cold crash for an extended period because it turns to sludge and easily can make its way to the keg unless you fully get it to settle out.

I personally prefer LorAnn Peanut Butter Flavor. About 3 oz. of that in a 5 gallon batch gives a good PB aroma and flavor. I've tried the PB2 and it just doesn't carry through and leaves a horrible mess in the fermenter.

Back