Peach wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikon90s

Reaction score
I am making a American wheat beer and plan on adding two lbs of peaches to it. My question is when should I add them?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a peach wheat beer last year, I had it in the primary for a week and then racked on top of the peaches in the secondary and left it for 2 weeks. I had them in in a muslin bag to keep the beer cleaner. I used about 8 lbs of peeled and pitted peaches in a 5 gallon batch, it had a good mild peach flavor, not too overpowering.

Definitely sink them in the secondary. If they float, there's a chance for mold to grow on them. I did 2 pounds in a half batch (2.5 gallons) of a dunkel and didn't get much flavor. I'd definitely go more if you really want to taste them.

I used about 8 lbs of peeled and pitted peaches in a 5 gallon batch, it had a good mild peach flavor, not too overpowering.

I have not used peaches so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but I have brewed with other light-flavored fruits. I echo what ejn327 says about using a lot of fruit. My recommendation would be to use a larger fermentation bucket than what you want your final product to be, and use a lot of fruit. Two pounds is likely to not be enough flavor. Wheat beer is a good choice. Because wheat beers tend to be cloudy anyway, you won't have to worry about clearing any pectin haze.

Ok I went with 8 lbs of fresh peaches then I froze them, peeled and heated to a boil then I cooled it down and then racked it. I will let you know how it turns out.

I made a peach wheat a year or two ago where I added peach purée in the secondary. Unfortunately I can't remember how many pounds of peaches I used. It came out pretty nice though, had a subtle peach flavor.

So how did this turn out. I have many Hefe recipes and could totally add peaches. Gonna edit a recipe now actually.

Back