Peach plum pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneArcher

Reaction score
I just picked up 5# each of the mentioned fruits.

Looking for advice. Mix and match any, all or just one gal of each separately? Also have bing cherries and rhubarb on hand.

Pear isn't a strong enough flavor lacks a solid taste profile IMHO

A variety of pear is great though. Any chance you can grab some Asian pears? They add immense flavor. Honestly sounds like a great 100% fruit cocktail wine...peach, pear, plum, rhubarb and cherry

I can't remember the variety of pear. They look the standard, picked up at Festival here in Green Bay. I'll get the name once I start googlin' around and remember it. It starts with an 'R' I think.

So Asian pears are better? Dang. There were three varieties total available. There was a red pear, then what I think was an Asian pear. The really pointed ones that are brownish. And the ones I picked up.

So for the pear: What if I grabbed 5# each of the red and the Asian and made three gallons of "Pear blend" wine, mixing with my current pears? Maybe a better question would be how many gallons would be a good choice for the 15# of pears? I'd hate to keep going to the store to buy more fruit if what I have is good enough though, SWMBO would start to get testy if I keep piling up the kitchen with unused fruit.

If pear is too subtle of a flavor what would it pair with nicely?

I was thinking if I mixed the pear, plum and peach I could name it Three'pe or Pecube. Trivial benefit.

I have about 8# of rhubarb and 7# of bing cherries. Oh yeah, a quart bag (maybe 2.5#, guessing) bursting at the sides with Michigan blueberries. I don't know if that helps any or not.

Bartlett! So it starts with a 'B' not an 'R'.

So my total fruit count is:

5# Bartlett Pears - Fresh
5# Peaches - They were just labeled yellow peaches - Fresh
5# Plums - I think that they are yellow fleshed guessing by the produce wounds on one that I seen. - Fresh
1qt Raspberries - Grown locally, no clue what kind - Fresh

7# Bing Cherries - Frozen
8# Rhubarb - Standard variety, not strawberry rhubarb - Frozen
1qt Blueberries - Fresh from Upper Michigan is all I know, they are big and plump like the typical, so not wild. - Frozen

I should do something with the plums asap. Since I grabbed the softest ones I could, knowing that they were the ripest hopefully the sweetest. The peaches are ok, could sit for a few more days. The pears are firm, a week or so wouldn't hurt them.

IMO The fruit cocktail wine almost seems like a waste. Unless we know that it will actually be tasty, then I have no problem. Though not entirely opposed, I just don't want to stuff all the fruit in one batch just for the sake of doing it is all. If there are natural pairs in the list I would certainly do that.

Some ideas that I am kicking around, with reasons:

Raspberry Pear - Now knowing that the pear is a subtle flavor, maybe the low volume of the raspberries will add to and not overpower?
Blueberry Cherry - They are both dark?
Cherry - Cherry wine sounds good. I do have 3 gallons of Rainier Cherry wine going now. But the Bing may be better.
Blueberry Plum - Just sounds like maybe a winning combo?

So I am looking for a touch of advice.If there is anything in here that you wish you would have tried and have good reason to believe that it will be good, I'll giver a whirl. And maybe we can trade a bottle for a bottle when it's done.

I have 1118 and 1116 on hand, maybe some D47, Nottingham and a few others. 1118 has been my "go to" yeast so far.

Let me know what you guys think, and the volume that you would do as well. I am, still a noob.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Ha! Aspiring to be! I am a software engineer by day, and by night all that is non-techie. Bow building, primitive camping, hiking, rock climbing, survival, etc. Wine and mead are right up there with science backed primitive-like hobbies.

Awesome if you are really into those kid of things check out the website Paleoplanet I am a bow builder hide tanner flintknapper drum and flute maker friction fire maker among other things.

At first I thought you seen my name on those types of forums. I haunt hammockforums.net, bushcraftusa.com among others. On some I am MonkeyKnight, rarely have posted at all. Mostly read. Just like here; read a lot, post little.

I do check out paleoplanet as well, though not a member.

Alright, my plum is sitting on Campden. Added water to 5l, so I have a full gallon after first rack. Added sugar to OG of 1.085.

I love the smell of plums.

I think I am going to do a straight plum wine with them. Any suggestions on the other fruits?

Don't know what it will taste like but have two five gallon batchs of plum a shade over a year old that could be bottled if I ever get the bottles washed. One batch had 22 lbs and the other close to 30 they sure are pretty and I have high hopes. No plums this year late freeze killed them.

Gah, I miss having a yard. The ol' Longbow is sitting in the corner cursing me out for getting an apartment in the 'burbs.

Alright, my plum is sitting on Campden. Added water to 5l, so I have a full gallon after first rack. Added sugar to OG of 1.085.

I love the smell of plums.

Wish I could help you more, but I can say the old man recently bottled a batch of plum. I don't know what he did exactly, but it's a bit dryer than expected. Nothing wrong with that though, as the flavor was spot on :mug:

I'm in an apartment as well. I'm not built for urban life, but gotta repay the software engineer degree. I'm only a weekend bushcraft warrior now, :(

Glad to hear that the flavor is spot on. I have high hopes for these. Wish I would have picked up 15# instead. Hard to buy fruit when it was almost always given to me.

I have 1118 and 1116 on hand. I am thinking 1116 for the plum. Although I haven't used 1116 yet. Thoughts?

I first learned to shoot a bow INSIDE my apt. Shot all four corners of the mattress of the bed. I could shoot thru the hall and into the bedroom for about a twelve yard shot. I still wonder what the owners thought when I moved out.

I looked at the log and one is 1118 and the other is 1122. Both had 1090 og.

Back