Peach Pecan Wine I Want to Lightly Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idlehands212

Reaction score
First off, this is only my second batch of wine I have attempted...

I made a one gallon peach wine from Vintner's Harvest puree that I am going to add natural pecan flavoring to before bottling. I've never bottled wine before, and don't have the traditional bottles/corks/etc. I plan on using 16 oz. flip top bottles and I would like to lightly carbonate it. I figured I would bottle in the same way I would with beer, but use less priming sugar. By the time I bottle it, it will have been fermenting for about 6 weeks. If I skip adding the potassium sorbate, will this process work the way I think it will? I plan on drinking it within a year...

-James

You are 100% correct, if you want to bottle condition, do not add any sorbate. I'm not sure how much pressure the flip tops can withstand, from what I'm reading, it should be no different than a regular beer bottle. If you plan on aging the wine (I highly recommend it) you might want to use champagne bottles to be on the safe side.

I hope that this helps.

I've done some research, as far as what pressure the bottles can hold, it seems beer bottles are around 3.5 (psi?) while the flip tops are 4. I figured as long as I go light on the priming sugar I shouldn't have any problems. Thanks for the clarification.

Have never made wine, have made a lot of meads (close enough for gov't work, eh?) I've always gone with the standard "beer" amount of carbing sugar (5 oz by weight for 5 gallons) and have never had an overcarbed mead, not even carbed to beer level, just a nice light "frizzante" kinda sparkle.....and me and the ladylove like 'em like that :cool:

Back