Pbw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a tub of Oxiclean free and mix it with TSP/90 (phosphate free) at a ratio of 30 (TSP):70 (Oxi) by weight. There you have PBW at about 1/2 the cost.

Many use oxyclean free on here. I prefer to use cleaners & sanitizers made for the job. I value my hide more than saving a few bucks. PBW & starsan FTW!

Dgoldb1 is right. If you want to make it cheaper tho go to Wal-Mart and get 2 six pound tubs of Sun Oxygen Cleaner then go to ACE Hardware and get Red Devil TSP 90 (4 pound bag) and you have yourself the equivalent of PBW for about $20.

I can get 1lb of PBW for 8 bucks at Midwest. Stuff goes a long way too. I'm not sure I'd wanna use Tri Sodium Phosphate in food containers. That's the harsh stuff in laundry detergent. I used to clean oil spots off the driveway with it.

unionrdr said:
I can get 1lb of PBW for 8 bucks at Midwest. Stuff goes a long way too. I'm not sure I'd wanna use Tri Sodium Phosphate in food containers. That's the harsh stuff in laundry detergent. I used to clean oil spots off the driveway with it.

When I first brewed 20 years ago, we used TSP almost exclusively for cleaning. I got a real shock when I started brewing again and learned about no rinse stuff!

I imagine that TSP def has to be rinsed,like bleach,sodium percarbonate...even PBW to a lesser degree. Starsan is no rinse. All the cleaners need to be rinsed. PBW is rinsed off easier than those,though.

I'll still take PBW and Starsan all day long. Just throwin out the cheapo mix that I've seen people use. :)

I've had good success with the Sun brand stuff from wally world, much cheaper than oxyclean. Just rinse well

Back