PBW vs Oxy Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I have just started back brewing after a 20 year break, I bought the better bottle carboys vs buying glass, I am having an issue with residue being left in the better bottle carboy and I can't get it out with out soaking them in PBW. The problem is the cost and the fact you have to heat it up to at least 100 degrees. I have read about alot of people using using Oxy Clean, to save time and money, how much Oxy Clean would I use for a 6.5 gallon carboy? I assume rinsing and sanitizing with starzan is all need to do.

I have just started back brewing after a 20 year break, I bought the better bottle carboys vs buying glass, I am having an issue with residue being left in the better bottle carboy and I can't get it out with out soaking them in PBW. The problem is the cost and the fact you have to heat it up to at least 100 degrees. I have read about alot of people using using Oxy Clean, to save time and money, how much Oxy Clean would I use for a 6.5 gallon carboy? I assume rinsing and sanitizing with starzan is all need to do.

There's a homemade PBW thread that's worth checking out (link). I used to use straight Oxy, but hated the white film it left on my carboys and kegs. The homemade PBW I'm using now is much better.

Oxy is good. I used a very small amount (can't remember the amount, I think the first line in the blue scooper) and did a lot of rinsing with hot water. PBW is much better though, so for me it's either the homemade I have now on hand, or the real thing.

I don't always use hot water with my PBW, works fine. You don't need to necessarily fill the carboy. Put a gallon or so of PBW and a paper towel or a washcloth in the carboy. Shake it around and you can clean the walls.

I have used Oxyclean and generic varieties. The Oxyclean comes with a scoop that is twice the size of the generic ones. I use a little over 1/2 a scoop of Oxyclean (I would estimate this as about 2-3 tablespoons). I let it soak overnight then siphon it out, rinse, add some water and a washcloth, swirl it all around to get any remaining crud, remove the cloth and rinse some more.

BTW, is your Better Bottle really 6.5 gallons? If so where did you get it? I have only seen 3,5 and 6 gallon ones.

Only use oxi. I buy it onsale. Soak my carboys for a few days, quick carboy brushing, rinse, done. The residue is likely from not using the oxiclean chlorine free . Trying using that, it's a couple dollars more but we'll worth it.

I've been using just Oxiclean for a while. I use the one with no dyes or scents or anything. Put in about a half scoop and fill the carboy up with hot water. Let it sit until I have a chance to get back to it (usually a few days to a week or two), then dump it and rinse real good.

I've never had the white film some people mention. I wonder if that has to do with water chemistry or something. Maybe the Oxi reacts with certain types of water to produce the white film. Not sure.

Regardless, I'd try just straight Oxiclean and see how that works for you before you bother with anything more complicated. I get the 3 lbs. containers for about $7 or $8 at Target, I think. Definitely cheaper than PBW.

I've never had the white film some people mention. I wonder if that has to do with water chemistry or something. Maybe the Oxi reacts with certain types of water to produce the white film. Not sure.

Definitely cheaper than PBW.

I am pretty sure that the water chemistry is what causes the white film. I never get any.

Yes, cheaper than PBW. Especially if you get a generic. And works great for me.

I have used Oxyclean and generic varieties. The Oxyclean comes with a scoop that is twice the size of the generic ones. I use a little over 1/2 a scoop of Oxyclean (I would estimate this as about 2-3 tablespoons). I let it soak overnight then siphon it out, rinse, add some water and a washcloth, swirl it all around to get any remaining crud, remove the cloth and rinse some more.

BTW, is your Better Bottle really 6.5 gallons? If so where did you get it? I have only seen 3,5 and 6 gallon ones.

Some of the older better bottles were 6.5. They changed producers awhile ago. Not sure if that is when they stopped making them. I have 1 6.5 rest are 6

Some of the older better bottles were 6.5. They changed producers awhile ago. Not sure if that is when they stopped making them. I have 1 6.5 rest are 6

I have only seen the 3,5, and 6. I got my first ones 5 years ago. It seems that most of the other PET carboy makers only make 6 gallon also.

I see that the Big Mouth Bubbler is 6.5. Maybe if I ever need more....

In my testing, Oxiclean clean works pretty well. PBW works better and rinses more easily. And Craftmeister oxygen and alkaline cleaners beat both Oxi and PBW by a mile.

+1 on oxyclean. I use a full scoop on the carboys, fill em up, let them sit overnight, then a quick scrub w brush, rinse and done. Everything else is usually a half scoop in a bucket, fill with hose water, let it soak 1 hour to 24 hours, then rinse and done. Never had an infection. And I buy it from Costco so cheaper than pbw.

+1 on oxyclean. I use a full scoop on the carboys, fill em up, let them sit overnight, then a quick scrub w brush, rinse and done. Everything else is usually a half scoop in a bucket, fill with hose water, let it soak 1 hour to 24 hours, then rinse and done. Never had an infection. And I buy it from Costco so cheaper than pbw.

I have never seen the scent/dye free version at Costco -are you using the regular kind?

I have never seen the scent/dye free version at Costco -are you using the regular kind?

When I use Oxiclean, it's Oxiclean Versatile. Even though it has the stuff in it, it makes no difference. Although I've come to the conclusion that effectiveness and ease of use are more important to me than inexpensive, so I seldom use it any more.

Back