PBW question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very easy. go to google and put in

teaspoon in oz

it has a converter for you

I've never weighed out an ounce, but I finally find a tablespoon per gallon to be a good amount when mixing it up.

...okay.. so I just went to check because... well because I am that way. Tare'd out my tablespoon loaded it with a scoop of PBW and it came out to .5 ounces. Guess I've been making half strength PBW for years, but it's always worked well for anything I've cleaned with it.

it doesnt....you are asking for a measurment...right?
like how many qt in a gal?

Gduck said:
I've never weighed out an ounce, but I finally find a tablespoon per gallon to be a good amount when mixing it up.

...okay.. so I just went to check because... well because I am that way. Tare'd out my tablespoon loaded it with a scoop of PBW and it came out to .5 ounces. Guess I've been making half strength PBW for years, but it's always worked well for anything I've cleaned with it.

Thanks much!

it doesnt....you are asking for a measurment...right?
like how many qt in a gal?

The problem is that the question is a conversion from dry mass (one once by weight) to liquid volume measurement (how many tablespoons?).

One ounce by weight of a "light and fluffy" dry item will have a considerbly larger volume than one ounce of a "solid and dense" item, even though they both weigh the same amount.

The old joke about what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers plays off of this exact delema. Obvoiusly, they both weigh a pound, but the feathers will have a much larger volume than the pile of bricks, so your first reaction without thinking may be that the feathers weigh more because the pile is larger.

Gduck's measurement was basically what I found as well. One tablespoon of PBW was just about 1/2 ounce by weight (which ironically is the same conversion as one tablespoon of liquid to one ounce of liquid).

Back