Patersbier - Thoughts on Zymurgy recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitzy

Reaction score
Hey All,

I want to give a Patersbier a try in a few weeks to have it to crush in mid summer heat. I am torn between two recipes:

This one from Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Patersbier.pdf

And this one from Zymurgy http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/lets-brew/patersbier-the-lawnmower-beer-of-trappist-monks/

I see a lot of feedback on people from the Northern Brewer one, but has anybody brewed the recipe from Zymurgy? If so, how did it turn out?

Cheers!:mug:

I have brewed the NB version approx 6 times. Its that good!
The Zymurgy version looks like it wouldnt be too similar, with the addition of cinnamon.

That NB recipe is pretty simple on paper. Only worry I would have is the 20F temperature adjustment. At 9# of base malt you're looking at around 2.5 gallons of strike water. You'd (I would anyway) be lucky to collect enough wort to boil and raise the temp by 20F. You might have to combine your runnings with some top off water. Dough in with 1.0qt/# and try not to go over 1.5qt/lb with your top up addition.

I like the idea of skipping right to 147, since I have no direct heat.

I'll probably end up going with the NB recipe... I was hoping to hear from someone who had brewed that Zymurgy one to tell me it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I always like having a relatively unknown style on tap for people - great way to launch into beer talk and reel in more future homebrewers.

I love step mashes and find myself doing them for more and more brews. I don't think a single infusion would be the same. I'd be tempted to do a triple decoction and aim for mid 150's rather than 165.

Latest posts

Back