Pasteurization and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highway11

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm at my wits end here. I'm making a ginger soda that needs to be sweet and carbonated and pasteurized. My process is fairly simple - I make the soda (just sugar, fresh lime juice, sliced ginger, H2O and a wine yeast), let it sit overnight, strain into a 5 gallon carboy and bottle into screw top glass bottles, except one plastic bottle which is my "tester". Once bottled, I put them all in a temperature controlled fermenting fridge. Once the tester bottle is hard to the touch (usually after 2 days) I open one or two of the glass bottles to make sure the batch has been carbonated to where I want it. I then pasteurize. My current method is to place all of the bottles into large pots of water on the stove. The bottles sit on a rack placed at the bottom of the pots. I have one bottle opened with a plug and a thermometer in it to test the internal temperature. I turn on the stove and when the internal temperature hits 70C/158F I turn off the stove and immediately remove all of the bottles. I let them cool down and then, over the course of a week, I begin testing.
Here's my problem. When I test the bottles for carbonation levels, the ones I have left out at room temperature are all perfect. So far, once I put some in the fridge and test those - all flat. I have NO idea what's going on. I would love any insight or direction to relevant resources anyone has. Thank you!

Your process seems to be fine, and it is easy to dream up all sorts of "reasons" for the issue (like more CO2 being taken into solution at cold temps, mechanical changes in the screw tops or seals when they are cold etc) but at this stage these seem a bit "airy-fairy".
I once had a problem with my test bottle and gauge leaking very slightly and under indicating the CO2 volume and only found out by keeping it under water. Might be worth doing this with a couple of bottles (both in and out of the fridge) to see if any slow bubbles appear and under what circumstances

Your process seems to be fine, and it is easy to dream up all sorts of "reasons" for the issue (like more CO2 being taken into solution at cold temps, mechanical changes in the screw tops or seals when they are cold etc) but at this stage these seem a bit "airy-fairy".
I once had a problem with my test bottle and gauge leaking very slightly and under indicating the CO2 volume and only found out by keeping it under water. Might be worth doing this with a couple of bottles (both in and out of the fridge) to see if any slow bubbles appear and under what circumstances
Thanks, yeah I'll give that a try. Oddly, when I'm pasteurizing I have all the bottles submerged and make marks on any that "bubble". Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation (marked and unmarked both carbonated after pasteurization but both go flat once chilled).

Back