Pasteurisation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathrig

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post on here! Nice to meet all these fellow brewers.

I'm currently a water kefir producer on a small commercial scale. We're more into the raw / living side of water kefir and but would like to try a pasteurized version in cans on the side.
I've been looking everywhere on the web and can not seem to find much information about pasteurizing cans.

We will be running some tests in April with our kefir in cans in a bath pasteurizer and I'd like to learn the do's and don'ts:
max carbonation (we have 4 g/L) / max temperature / min. duration that you've experimented and that worked. Which shelf life did you achieve?

When heating up the beverage, I understand the CO2 will gasify - also building up extra pressure. Can I assume that the CO2 will dissolve back into the beverage once it returns to lower ambient temperatures?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Matt

vitamins, protein?

Probiotics.

Yes, it will destroy them.
Other options are:
1. Use organic potassium sorbate.
2. Use Micro-filtration.

To answer the OP's questions:

A. I have not experimented with kefir pasteurization. From whst I know there is a chart with time/temp and what it will kill.

B. Yes the CO2 can come out of solution, then go back into solution. It is dependent on pressure, volume, and temperature.

You should start by reading up on Boyle's Law.

If you need a Process Authority, you can contact:

Cornell Food Venture Center
+1 (315) 787-2273
&
Cornell Craft Beverage Lab
+1 (315) 759-0313

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back