Passivation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's that time of year. No, not the holidays.

Time to pack up the brew gear for the season, and that means a thorough cleaning so everything will be nice and tidy when the permafrost starts to recede next Spring. Last night when my wife's "Bunco Broads" were having their annual Christmas get-together upstairs, I was relegated to the basement brewery (by choice) and decided it was an opportune time to perform that arduous task. So my electric kettle, brew bucket, conical and unitank all got soaked and scrubbed. During the brewing season they each get CIP cleaned after each use and look pretty clean, though I'm finding that looks can be quite deceiving.

This was my first season with the unitank and I have been favorably impressed, but I was shocked to find the numerous nooks and crannies where debris was hiding outside the reach of a CIP ball running at 17-20 gallons per minute. Nothing had breached the TC fittings or gaskets but gunk had collected in the tiny voids between the 'sanitary' plates and recesses for the sample valve port and carbonating stone port. Those will get special attention with each brew session going forward.

So everything got disassembled and soaked in PBW. The TC ports got capped and the tank filled with hot PBW solution for an extended soak. Following a thorough hot water rinse, everything (including the tank) got 20 minutes of contact time with StarSan and have air dried overnight. As long as the equipment is gonna' have some downtime, I figured this would be a good time to passivate the stainless. All of it.

A while back Brad Smith had either a pod cast or FAQ article about passivating but I couldn't locate it. I then thought that since StarSan is food acid based it might have already gotten passivated with my cleaning. But then I started perusing different fora and started getting conflicting information. Some say do it once a year. Some say you never need to passivate after the initial cleaning when new. One cited the StarSan website saying that it wasn't suitable or adequate for passivation. Nitric acid works best, but no; not using it in a non-industrial, non-laboratory setting. Phosphoric would work but I'm leery of messing up the septic chemistry. So I'm leaning toward citric as the 'solution', so to speak.

Curious about concentration (grams/ounces per gallon), contact time, and any special concerns or cautions about handling and disposal. The electric kettle is 8 years old, the brew bucket and conical are two, and the unitank has one season under it's belt. Each were initially cleaned when new with TSP and 'passivated' with StarSan. Each gets cleaned and/or CIP'd after each use with PBW/Oxy, rinsed and soaked with StarSan/SaniClean, then air dried. Looking for experienced guidance and suggestions. TIA.

Brooo Brother

So everything got disassembled and soaked in PBW.
I do this after every brew for my cold side equipment. Every time.
You're lucky you didn't get any noticable contaminations.
20 minutes of contact time with StarSan and have air dried overnight.
There's nothing magical about air drying Star San. Their point is not to rinse it when you're using it as a sanitizer, because rinsing negates the sanitation. Here you aren't using it for sanitation.

By allowing it to dry (in an entirely different context), you're risking it corroding your metal equipment. Rinse it.
Phosphoric would work
Phosphoric acid (including Star San) does not passivate. Only nitric or citric acid.
Curious about concentration (grams/ounces per gallon), contact time, and any special concerns or cautions about handling and disposal.
Use 4% citric acid, that's 40g/L.
Keep it in contact with the surface (full immersion) for at least 60 minutes at 140°F.
Then rinse and allow to dry.

Citric acid is a weak acid, as opposed to phosphoric and nitric acids, which are strong acids, chemically speaking. Citric acid is not hazardous.

Since you're on septic you should probably neutralize it to whatever pH is good for a septic system (I don't know off the top of my head) before dumping. Baking soda is good for that.

Cheers

Please point us to a scientific article or an industry standard.

NASA and the ASTM only recognize citric and nitric acids for passivation.

The idea that other acids can passivate is completely unsubstantiated (i.e. a myth).

That was my concern as well. My equipment is mostly Ss Brew Tech and I agree their literature and FAQs suggest StarSan as a 'suitable' acid for passivation though notably not the 'best'. Oxalic as in Bar Keeper's Friend works but would require surface manual scrubbing which would be difficult inside the unitank. Nitric would work best, but not for me. So citric it will be.

Thanks for the input and explaining the process.

Brooo Brother

Oxalic acid (BKF) does NOT passivate.

Citric acid works just as well as nitric acid.

See below for ASTM statement

http://www.********************/wp-...l-treatments-for-stainless-steel-parts.-1.pdf

ASTM even corraborates Spikes story.
Capture.PNG

One of the conclusions FTFA:
"When applied to stainless steels, the main function of a chemical passivation treatment is to clean the surface, by removing free iron and other surface contaminants."

Removing free surface iron is the whole point of passivation for our purposes. Air obviously doesn't do that.
ASTM even corraborates Spikes story.
No, it doesn't.

Screenshot_20191217-140830.png

Free iron needs to be removed from the surface. Only two acids selectively remove iron.
Pop quiz: Does anyone know which two?

I think somebody at SSB must have read something about phosphate conversion coating and thought this would work for stainless as well. It doesn't, unfortunately, as phosporic acid will not affect stainless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate_conversion_coating

I did come across a reference that talked about phosphoric acid promoting an iron to iron affinity that reduces surface rust on stainless steel. Must be true. I read it on the internet.

Brooo Brother

Latest posts

Back