Party! parti-gyle APA/IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
Ok folks. I'm looking for tips from the top here. Any advice on Parti-gyle recipe construction or execution is welcome.

I've got a Citra APA golden ale thing and a Mosaic IPA thing and I want to make them both out of one mash. Sounds easy enough. The grain bills are different but I don't think that's a big issue as they are both simple enough to be common. I don't really care about the color on either of them so that makes it a little easier. The beers are not for competition but rather consumption.

I use beersmith and they don't have a party mode so I think I need to make it up on my own. I think I should be able to add my two OGs, divide by two to get my average and then add a couple points for good measure and build a grain bill to hit that??

I fly sparge so I think I can break up my collection into 3 or 4 groups and then mix them to the desired pre-boil gravity.

after that, the boil is fairly simple. I'll just cut all my hops in half for each batch.

11 gallon batches.

Recipe 1. Citra APA
Pre boil: 1.037
OG: 1.044
15 lbs 2 row (83.3%)
3 lbs crystal 20L (16.7%)

Recipe 2. Mosaic IPA
pre boil: 1.054
OG: 1.067
13 lbs goldin promise (49.1%)
13 lbs Pillsner (49.1%)
.5 lbs Cara Pills (1.9%)

Combo party recipe 3.
OG: 1.059
12 lbs golden promise
12 lbs 2 row

It might be easier to formulate a recipe for 1.067, then scale to 19 gallons or so, and add a couple gallons to dilute the APA. Instead of straight dilution you might run them as a separate sparge, but I find the calculations easier when I do a single mash for my 'main' beer, and calculate the other based on dilution. See links in my signature for all type of shenanigans related to this sort of thing.

In the past I've often done something like a 6 gallon batch of IPA, split runnings equally, then diluted the APA to get 4 gallons. That gives me 7 total.

Back