Partly-Gyle... yes... I said partly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergyrock

Reaction score
Oh Boy did I screw up.

Typical brew night: eat dinner, see wife off to work, start heating water, bathe kid, start Mash, put kid to bed, lauter and brew.

Tonight: Thought I would get a leg up and finish an hour or two early. so I heated my water before dinner and started mash before SWMBO went to work. Found myself scrambling to get the kid ready for bed and keep up with the mash timing. So I started draining my first running's and left to get the kid into bed and come back and sparge in 15-20 minutes.

Got the kid in bed and went into the garage looking forward to a nice night of brewing my favorite Citra IIPA and drinking a few pints.....OH S#!t... The valve on my kettle wasn't totally closed, 2+ gallons of first wort running's on the floor and maybe 1 or so gallons still in the kettle

So after a few minutes of swearing profusely and almost dumping the grist, I calmed down and decided to make the best out of it. I already had more than enough hot sparge water ready so I ignored the puddles and decided to "partly-gyle". So I dumped 5.5 gallons of water into the the tun and then started mopping.

Ended up with almost 6.5 gallons of wort and changed the hops I was going to use. Finished with 5 gallons of Partly-Gyle Nugget/Amarillo Pale ale with OG of 1.051, So still going to end up with a 5%+ APA
:D:D:mug::tank::drunk:

I'm sure it will turn out OK and will be a great lawnmower beer for early summer, Just an expensive 5% brew with the ridiculous IIPA grain bill.

Sounds like a great solution. At least you didn't waste any hops. That's when mistakes get really expensive with a iipa.

Back