partigyle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I want to try and squeeze as much beer out of my system as I can so i'm thinking of partigyling something. But i don't want a really big beer, i'm thinking of doing a pale ale around 1.050 and a mild with what ever is left. I want to make 6.5 gallons of PA and 4 gallons of mild. Anybody know how i could achieve this?

I'm thinking of mashing in normally and then topping up my 23l mash tun up with 170f water, running this off into the kettle then diluting with water until i get the kind of gravity i'm after. Then i'll batch sparge with 4gallons and add some invert no3 to get me up to 1.030 or so.

will this work? any draw backs?

As long as you have enough grain in the recipe to provide the sugars for both batches using your average efficiency (mine is around 75%), its no problem. If your small beer is too weak you can just add back a little first runnings. In fact this is a good idea because second runnings can often lack malt character. You might also cap the mash before running off your small beer, for a mild that'd be a little black malt and maybe some dark crystal. I wouldn't use sugar to bump up the small beer, it needs more body not less. If I was using sugar in one of the recipes it'd be the pale ale.

For 6gal of 1.050 OG you'd need 300 points of fermentables. For 4gal of 1.030 OG you need 120 points. Thats a total of 420 points, divide by 27 ppppg (for 75% efficiency) and you need 15.5lb of grain. I'd use 16lb to be on the safe side, you can always bump the small beer up a little. 1.030 is really low.

As long as you have enough grain in the recipe to provide the sugars for both batches using your average efficiency (mine is around 75%), its no problem. If your small beer is too weak you can just add back a little first runnings. In fact this is a good idea because second runnings can often lack malt character. You might also cap the mash before running off your small beer, for a mild that'd be a little black malt and maybe some dark crystal. I wouldn't use sugar to bump up the small beer, it needs more body not less. If I was using sugar in one of the recipes it'd be the pale ale.

For 6gal of 1.050 OG you'd need 300 points of fermentables. For 4gal of 1.030 OG you need 120 points. Thats a total of 420 points, divide by 27 ppppg (for 75% efficiency) and you need 15.5lb of grain. I'd use 16lb to be on the safe side, you can always bump the small beer up a little. 1.030 is really low.

I forgot to say I was also thinking of capping the mash.

I would like to use a little invert as this is how milds have been made in the past.

Lots of info here

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/

i was also thinking about taking the two runnings and blending them back together but then I wouldn't be able to cap. This just gets more and more complicated the more i think about it:confused:

Back