Particles Floating in Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I've read a few threads about sediment particles in Belgian Wits, but my question is slightly different. I realize the beer should be cloudy, no problem there. However, there seem to be larger bits of gray-ish green particles floating in the glass. Is this typical? This is also my first all-grain batch and first time kegging my beer (corny keg). I only used primary fermentation, and left it there for 2 weeks. I'm guessing I brought along some of the trub or krausen when I transferred to the keg (auto siphon)... maybe? Is this anything to be concerned about?

Did you use pellet hops? If so, that's probably what that is. Regardless of what it is, it should all settle out in a few days.

Sounds like hop bits. Try leaving them in the brew kettle or run it through a strainer prior to pitching. Too late at this point you might get some grassy off flavors.

Sounds like hop bits. Try leaving them in the brew kettle or run it through a strainer prior to pitching. Too late at this point you might get some grassy off flavors.

Thanks for the feedback. The beer tastes fine... no off flavors that I can discern, but maybe I'm not very sophisticated. I'm guessing that any sediment has settled to the bottom of the keg, and is being pulled thru the dip tube on the first few pours. Hopefully it will not happen with every pour! When I was draining the brew kettle into the fermenter, I lost the siphon and had to pour it into the fermenter... which is probably why I ended up with hop particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can definitely see the value of the funnel for straining wort into the fermentor, but I'm curious as to how you transfer from the fermentor, through the funnel, and into the keg without oxygenating your beer? Or did I misread something?

Latest posts

Back